• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD won't stop making noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

I run my os and programs off of a 1tb SSD, but I also keep a HDD for media/xfer files.
After a recent pc upgrade I changed out 2 320gb HDD's with a new 500gb HDD.

My problem is it won't shut up. Its constantly spinning and making HDD noises.
Nothing is being accessed from the HDD, after I installed windows 10 i noticed it put some partion on the HDD for windows files, so I formated again, and disconnected the HDD while installing windows so that NO windows files are on it.
Still it keeps spinning. No clue what its doing.
And its... Really.... Loud....

Anyway to shut this thing up? It was only $21 for a new, Seagate 500gb 7200rpm, but I'm going to have get a SSD as my extra media drive if I can't get this thing to shut up.

No page file usage on the HDD, only the SSD. :(

I think the fact that my new case is alot more open on the top is also allowing alot more noise to come out of the case.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The funny thing is, the older HDD's, the ones I am replacing, are MUCH quieter.

And they are probably 10-13 years old. :eek:

Warranties are shorter on HDDs as of a few years ago (right after the Malaysia flood, I believe), so I have to assume quality is lower, as well. Add that to the rise of the SSD and HDDs are the redheaded stepchildren of the storage realm, now. My 4 TB WD Blue lasted about 2 years and 1 month on a 2 year warranty. A situation I'm not happy about after spending $120 for the drive. The 2 TB WD Green in my daughter's rig is going on 6 years old and still works flawlessly.

If you really need a spinner, check out the HGST drives. They get the best marks against failure repeatedly for the last couple of years. And are quieter too.

If you really need a spinner, check out the HGST drives. They get the best marks against failure repeatedly for the last couple of years. And are quieter too.

I have already decided my replacement will be a Hitachi because of that. I know the Seagate camp and the WD camp trade horror stories, but I never thought I'd see the day neither of them is a viable alternative.

Well crap, I guess I'm glad I only lost $20 on this HDD, guess I'll have to start keeping a second SSD as my media drive.

Strangely it seems to getting quieter over time.

Does the S.M.A.R.T. data say anything? Seagate drives to tend to be noisy. I've had some that sounded on the verge of coming apart-for 5 years. LOL

I don't know what S.M.A.R.T data is. :confused:

It is getting quieter over time. The sound was much more pronouced earlier this morning when I installed it, but at this point it feels like half the DB it was at earlier.\
Its almost to a acceptable point. Although I have some really loud case fans drowning it out.

I'll dl the SMART tool and see what I get.

Its weird, in the morning after a fresh boot, it chirps for awhile, but after some time it seems to settle out and make much less noise.
Even when I access folders on the drive and the drive has to be spun to retrieve the info, its not near as loud as it is at other times like after a fresh startup.

I turned indexing off with no noticeable difference.
Running SeaTools FixAll option now.

I think SeaTools FixAll did something. Not sure what but it isn't chirping randomly anymore.

Was windows installed before or after you added the new drive? It's a good practice to disconnect all drives except the system drive when installing Windows. It has a way of spreading itself around otherwise.

Was windows installed before or after you added the new drive? It's a good practice to disconnect all drives except the system drive when installing Windows. It has a way of spreading itself around otherwise.

Fresh install after new build with both SSD and HDD connected.
But after I noticed Windows put some partition on the new HHD I re-formated both, disconnected the HDD, and installed windows. Making sure no windows files went onto the HDD.

Knock on wood here, but I think the SeaTools "fix all" option fixed my issue.
The drive only makes noise when accessed now, and the noise is much less noticable.

Now I just gotta get some molex to 3pin adapters to put a fan controller on these cheapo mining fans I got.
Great CFM for cheap, but so loud it sounds like a box fan next to me.

Personally, I enjoy hearing hard drive chatter. Makes me know it's alive and things are happening. Many laptops these days don't even have a hard drive activity light to be able to tell what's going on.

In the power settings you can have the drive go to sleep after so many minutes (what ever you set it to) to stop the spinning and save waer and tear on it.

I honestly haven't heard the drive once since I ran the SeaTools app. Not sure what it did, but that drive is pretty much silent all day now.

Back