• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headed specs mushkin ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Howdy! I got a question. My recently acquired mushkin ram is rated for 1333 9-9-9. Now when I open up cpuz, jedec shows settings for like 1520mhz or so..is it totally fine to run ram higher than stock all the time? Curious(very) as I don't want to taco my ram sooner than ncessary. :)

Btw, timings are set to auto and cas shows 8..even though it should be almost 10. How come!?:shock:

Another question, how are these settings reliable? I had xms3 ram that wouldn't run on slower preset when on auto, it would set timings
a bit too low.:screwy: <-- funny smiley, who came up with it!:rofl: I was privileged to receive it in one reply!

Here are photos, Thank you.
View attachment 195523
View attachment 195524

Edit: forgot to add, here's what it is at 1530. Now gas is at 9, just like other timings, but still not at 10. How come if headed specs say 10-10-10 at this freq??
View attachment 195525

Last edited:
Don't use CPU-Z to read memory profiles. It's often wrong or is mixing profiles. Generally Thaiphoon Burner is showing the best info about memory ( it's available in free version ). Other soft is usually also more accurate than CPU-Z. AIDA64 reads most things correctly, sometimes will show higher CL than it supposed to be ( depends on used memory and motherboard ) but other things should be correct.

You are most likely getting the wierd ram speed due to your increased bclk. As to running the ran at a higher speed, it is completely safe to run the team overclocked just like the cpu. Just have to get it set correctly.

Womack, I did not know that. I'll try other program and check.

Locheley, that is correct, I am overclocking via bclock and ram multipliers are tied to it. Do you think "auto" is doing the right job? (well, I think it does now that I think about it:it passed stability, and 8-8-8 don't work ..I guess not much choices. Im more worries about secondary timings getting set correctly. I dont want to chase those around)

Last edited:
Have you actually tested the system stability?

22 hours prime95 blend
Passed.

Sir, I always test stability :) Absolutely can't have unstable system.

Then why are you worried about secondary timings and chasing them around. It's already stable

Well, I mean for the future I guess. Sorry :chair: I noticed it keeps staying at 999 with ever so me increasing frequency, so I igured if I increase it more and it doesn't auto go up, I'll never figure them out!

(you sounded like an angry teacher. Scary.) :chair:

Not angry just didn't understand your concern.
If you're going to continue to overclock the bclk then yes it could be an issue. You'll either have to drop the divider or alter timings. Sometimes just adding a bit of voltage to the ram will compensate. Other times it could be the IMC of the CPU can't handle the added speed of the ram. Takes a bit of patience and a lot of trial and error to find the source at times

I guess your smiley looks a little uh, upset, sir :D anyways, yes, increasing bclock it'll eventually hit instability. But if it does, I'm usually hoping if I tweak main stuff it'll turn ok, but if secondary timings will not get updated automatically to higher correctly, I'll never figure it out as I have no clue how to tweak those. Anyways , thank you for all information, everyone. I'll dig into other software y'all mentioned and check her out.

Thank you! :) I'll become master very soon! (..Or kill my machine trying)

Keep notes as to what timings are stable at what bclk settings. Be sure to include voltages used. These notes will become very handy down the road when tweaking. "Wait, this setting looks familiar" [checks notes & sets stable settings]

Thank you, sir. I should have done it a long time ago when I first started out.. :(

Thank you, sir, but I was sort of reading through Chadmairs guide from overclock.net a while back and used it for "rough reference". It's been long before I joined here. :) (probably 5-7 yrs ago, don't remember)

Edit: first overclock was 3.6ghz ht off @1.168vcore :D I wasn't trying hard back then. Was afraid to break stuff

Let me add to this.....If you're going to be messing with the ram ie. overclocking it. Your best bet is to not do it on your 24/7 Os install.

Yes sir, it breaks things. Also increasing NB frequency tends to not make stuff work. :chair:

(been there...eh, few times)

It'll even trash your BIOS if you push ram too far

That too! How did you know, sir!?? I had trouble turning on with my previous malfunctioning xms3!

Oi, I just stepped in puppy doo:temper:

I'm sorry with all the questions, but is it normal for PC to change timings after exiting sleep?

I just replicated the phenomenon again:

Turn on pc, go to bios, timings 9-9-9
I let the pc start, let so does boot,
check cpu-z, timings show 9-9-9
Go to sleep
Wake up minute later
Go to cpu-z, now timings 8-9-9

What's going on?!:screwy::confused:

Btw, here's jaded from cpu and thaiphoon
View attachment 195537

Last edited:
Do you need a new CMOS battery? That rig is getting old and may need a CMOS battery replacement on the motherboard. This can cause settings to be lost in bios.

Back