• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat issue and limited materials..can you do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme_ego

ok im doing some more clocking (trying to use 450x8 for 3.6ghz instead of 400x9 450x8 seems much more responsive and the ram gets a 5.7 to 5.9 boost in vista assessment. i have 2 88cfm yate loons 4 44cfm led yate loons 3 80mm fans that are led(may mod the leds out) and thats it.

i have a dq6 mobo and the northbridige burned my hand when i touched it. 450fsb is hott. (hell 400 was hott but now I realize it.) and my memory rated for 2.1v is getting 2.15v instead so its getting really hot also( but once again hell im getting pc26400 ram to run at ddr2 900). i want to stress test overnight but im afraid to due to the temps i get on the nb and ram. also i hear squealing!!! it may be my vid card because it squeals under high load ati testing (i hear alot of 8800gtx do)so need to cool that down a bit. any ideas??? my case is in sig. and the armor has the 25mm fan side panel.

TL'DR: nb and ram is getting too hott and i have a ton of extra fans how should i position or rearrange for flow to cool nb and ram...

also can i remove the damn "gigabyte" metal plate off the top of the nb sink i think its blocking flow.

If you do not want to buy an aftermarket NB heatsink I would remove said heatsink from the motherboard, throw away the metal cover plate, remount it using arctic silver or ceramique, and then attach one of your 80mm fans blowing down on or right across it. I remounted my NB heatsink with Arctic silver when I was building my system because I had read about how hot they get. It gets hot but not bad at all and there is no fan on it. My FSB is much lower than yours though. For everything else I would just try experimenting with placing fans in different spots and then stressing the system and monitoring temps. Also make sure there is plenty of airflow coming into the front of the case.

yeah with most mobo built in HS you have to take off the ****ty tape and use as5 for it to work decently, but def put a fan on that

I used some rubber bands to attach a 40mm fan on my NB and SB. As for my memory I had also used the rubber band method but noticed it was getting way to dusty for my liking. So I grabbed some zipties and have the fan attached above the memory blowing air down. Cheap and effective. :)

Back