• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ano

Hey!

I have amd fx8320 overclocked to 4.5 GHz (still on stock voltage, believe it or not) and on top of it I mounted scythe mugen 4 heatsink with two fans, one pulling, other pushing. After 10 minutes of prime 95 my core temps are fine ~50-55 centigrade, but socket temp reaches 75 even 80. Is this normal or should i be worried? Airflow isn't problem here since my case is open and still full of fans. I also changed thermal paste about a week ago (thermal grizzlys hydronaut)

Thanks in advance :)

Couple things here Ano, first welcome to OCF and it would help if we knew what motherboard you have. I'm just guessing it's not a good 8 phase board judging by the socket temps. Also if the voltage is still on auto in BIOS you are no longer using stock voltage as the board will up the volts under load at will when left on auto. The best way to cool the socket is with a fan behind the motherboard and one on the VRM area. Like these first one is held with zip-ties and the one on the back with double sided tape

vrm fans.jpg Capturefan.PNG

Thanks for the quick reply! MB is from asus, m5a99fx pro r2.0 and i've set the voltage manually (though I raised load line calibration and cpu current capability a little) Your cooling solution is actually very interesting, never thought of that :D

I have the Pro at home and had the same issues with socket temps once I got into the 4.5G range. It's no surprise. That little fan behind the motherboard dropped my socket temp nearly 10c

Thanks for the tip! It's odd that two 120mm fans mounted to the heatsink are not enough

Like I said the one in the back helped me the most. These CPUs pull a ton of power that's why boards such as the 99Pro start to struggle at a certain point.

Funny thing is that the board is rated to withstand 220w cpu... (it has support for fx-9000 series) so at this wattage heat shouldn't really be a problem

They say they support the 9590 but I tried my 9370 in mine and it was a mistake. They expect you to keep the CPU at stock and then Maybe it'll work OK. Once you overclock the CPU to 4.5 your pretty close to that 220W

Yeah, it's true. According to my quick tests, adding a small fan helps a lot though its not on the back of the board, so thanks for the good advice :)

I'll also add if you're leaving the board voltage on Auto it is possible it is giving it more volts then it needs for the 4.5 Ghz Oc. I have a similar board as well the M5A99X Evo and both Johan and I use the fans on the board and heatsinks to help keep the socket temps down to about +10c from the Package/Core temp when I run my Fx 8350 on it.

Back