• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello Everyone! Having Trouble Overclocking RAM...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimemmo

With my current system I am having trouble reaching the advertised speeds of my ram sticks. I currently have my 3070 overclocked with +220 on the core clock and +1000 on the memory clock with my i7 overclocked to 5.2ghz. I am new to overclocking and the highest I was able to overclock my ram was 3200mhz from the base 2666mhz. I currently have XMP enabled in bios but any time I try to go any higher my system fails to boot. My ram is advertised for 4000mhz and my motherboard is capable of speeds up to 4600mhz so I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here. If anyone has some tips it would be greatly appreciated!:salute:

What i7 is at 5.2 GHz? What motherboard, exactly? What RAM sticks, exacty? It's difficult to help without knowing (at least) the last two details. :)

Just because your board says 4600 doesn't mean you have the CPU(IMC) and memory kit to do it. Some settings will likely need to be changed. System Agent, VccIO, and DRAM voltage all likely need to be adjusted in some capacity to go higher... or loosen timings or both.

Please post screenshots of CPUz. The memory tab, and Spd tabs, please.

That said, I don't see a point in overclocking your RAM in the first place. DDR4 4000 is well past where you see notable gains in the first place. For fun and giggles or benchmarking competitions, let's get at it... otherwise................ :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I put all my specs in my profile. I will post those pictures when I get home from work.

Asus Tuf Z490 Plus
i7 10-7000k Comet Lake
Gigabyte 3070 Vision OC
4X 16gb Corsair Vengeance 4000mhz
Corsair H100i Pro Xt
500gb WD Black edition M.2
2TB Seagate HD
Corsair 750x Power Supply

Is your motherboard bios updated to the latest version? If not, do it. That said, the TUF isn't exactly known for high memory capabilitiy.

I see you have FOUR sticks of 16GB.... A LOT of RAM. This adds more stress to the IMC which means you don't get as fast of speeds compared to say 2x16GB. You may not get much more as is.

What is System Agent voltage at? IO?

Last edited:
I will check on that as well later today, but yes I have updated everything and check pretty frequently. Like you said it may not be worth going to higher speeds if there's no noticeable gain. Just would like to learn a little on overclocking. I tried doing some research online but was not successful and did not want to mess with the timings without knowing what I was doing.

Cool. We're here to help. :)

Let's get those screenshots and let us know what SA and IO voltage is set at and we should be able to move forward.

This motherboard supports up to DDR4-4600 ... using 2x8GB memory, not 4x16GB. If you make it work at DDR4-4000 with all 4 modules then I will be surprised. I would say that realistic is DDR4-3800 or 3866. On the QVL for WiFi version (non-WiFi support page doesn't work) are 4x8GB kits at DDR4-4000 but nothing above that. Just saying that so you won't be sad if you won't make it to 4000+. It's normal for 4 memory modules.

Ahhhh ok thank you! Didn’t catch that part, I do have the wifi version for the motherboard. I was really set on going to 4000mhz until after finding out that it really might not make much of a difference.
I also had a weird problem after I overclocked the gpu. Most of the time when I go to power on my pc my monitor does not get a signal but if I power off and back on it’s starts up no problem. Anyone else ever see this? I had no problems with the stress tests even for 10+ minutes on kombuster.

Check 3600 CL16-19-19-39 or 17-19-19-39 1.35-1.40V, command rate 2N/2T.
To check memory chips you can use thaiphoon burner, to read SPD you can use free version. It's sometimes wrong but usually can read memory chips correctly.

Back