• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building ITX OC beginner friendly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodcharly

Hi!

Thank you first because I found this forum incredibly helpful after weeks struggling trying to understand how PC work. I bought my one and only PC 15 years ago then went to console for gaming....

I want to build a very discrete PC for playing games on my TV (in 1080p), including my old favorite flight simulator Il2 Sturmovik and other CPU and RAM demanding simulators (Asseto Corsa, Arma).

I found that I need to overclock my system to run this type of games, from which I'm a bit affraid. Then, based on simulators PCs configurations found on Scan.co.uk (https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/pc-simulators/flight-simulator-pcs#anc) I've gathered this configuration:

Fractal Design Core 500
i5-6600K
MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Noctua NH-D15s
Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 2x8 Go 3000MHz
Corsair RM650i 650W
240 Go SSD / 2To HDD

MSI promises overclocking to be very easy so I'm pretty sure I'm getting this motherboard. CPU and GPU are also good for my budget but I'm not sure for the other components and any help would be really appreciated...

Thank you again and in advance

Looks solid to me. Overkill on the PSU, look at the EVGA 550W G2.
What timings on the RAM?

Looks solid to me. Overkill on the PSU, look at the EVGA 550W G2.
What timings on the RAM?

I think this answers about RAM

DDR4 SDRAM 3000 MHz (PC4-24000)
SPD - 2133 MHz - 1.2 V - CL15 - 15-15-15-36
Tested - 3000 MHz - 1.35 V - CL15 - 15-17-17-35

Thank you for your answer, makes me optimistic!

Ok for PSU, I will maybe plug a ton of peripherals, does it change anything?

Core 500 case specs says:
Max PSU length 170mm for non modular and 160mm for modular. I see EVGA 550W G2 is 165mm L and modular but I don't understand how it wouldnt fit. Do I try or should I seek an alternative?

Last edited:
Decent timings, good. Also check out the offerings for similar kits from G.SKILL. You should find something cheaper, with better timings.

No, you have plenty of headroom with the 550W unit. Even enough to go to a 980Ti with custom watercooling.
Looking at how the Core 500 is arranged, I would go even shorter than 160mm.

Try this: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0550-V1
It's a quality unit, but 150mm. Where the PSU is located in the case, if too long, it will hit the back of your GPU.
If you're right at the limit of length it'll put pressure on the GPU. The 550W GS is 150mm long so it gives you a tad of play room.

Thank you very much Atminside, it's really helpful and kind.

I hope to come back soon to let you know the result and my first impressions of Assetto Corsa!

Cooling/airflow + RAM in ITX case

Hello!

So I'm building a new rig with a Fractal-Design Core 500 case (as mentionned in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/771012-Help-building-ITX-OC-beginner-friendly).

I have a few options regarding CPU cooling, airflow and RAM compatibility.

1/ Option 1:
- Noctua C14s with 1 fan mounted on the top
- 2x 140mm intake fan at the top of the case (+1x 140mm exhaust fan at the rear and GPU intake fans)

This option allows me to install fast RAM (3000MHz - 14 14 14)

2/ Option 2:
- Noctua D15s with 1 fan
- 1x 140mm intake fan at the top of the case

This option also allows me to install fast RAM. D15s with 1 fan performs slightly better than C14s but I loose 1 intake fan.

3/ Option 3:
- Noctua D15s with dual fan (adding a 120mm fan)
- 1x 140mm intake fan at the top of the case

D15s with dual fans performs noticably better but there I can only fit low profile RAM wich is way slower (3000 MHZ 15 17 17). Also, the second fan on the cooler would fit in but stuck between the RAM sticks and the top fan, which might be a problem.

Please help me choose!

Regards

Merged that thread with this one since its all about the build. :)

As far as airflow... front/sides = intake, top/rear =exhaust.

Thank's for merging, I cheated because had a message left unanswered in previous thread :)

As for airflow: this case is meant to have intake fans from the top and I can't really change this...

Back