• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Can't get RAID to work on ASUS P5B-VM DO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tilhasbb

Hello,

I want to setup RAID 1 (Mirrored) on a new ASUS P5B-VM DO but I can't get the bios to allow me to get into the Raid options. I can only get the raid options when I connect one of the harddrives to the external sata port and when I do that I dont see the other drive.
I have 2 Segate 320G harddrives.
Any Ideas?

you need to push control J
but the menu wont pop up till I have hard drive on external port but i cant get it to see two drives

Figured it out. after googling and searching and asking.
STUPID ASUS. Here's what you have to do to get it to work.
The board has TWO Raid controllers. Disable the Jbcrap one because that is the that requires you to connect TWO external drives to raid...(wtf external raid...i know)
Second Raid is the Intel Matrix raid.
How to enable that.
Reset bios to default
Disable the Jbcrap one (that also disables your IDE port aka Cdrom for most of us.)
Go into IDE and change it to RAID and enable boot addon. save reboot before you even get the asus screen like as its rebooting hit contrl I over and over and over (might get you a few tries) but BAM you get into the intel menu once you get in once its activated. your a happy camper.

Believe it or not, your motherboard manual will tell you everything you need to know, including getting into the setup utility.

You will need to press control-I or something like that... Anyway, your manual will tell all :D

:welcome: to OCF!
AFAIK, ctrl + i is only for Intel Matrix RAID setup. Each raid controller has it's own way of entering setup. Like you said, it can easily be located in the motherboard manual. Just wanted to add that in. :)

i have this same board and it does raid quite well.

raid on jmicron is not bad, but needs an esata-sata cable though.

you can do raid of 2 drives with jmicron, and max of 4 drives with intel.

performance of raid on intel is better than that on jmicron, but i have yet to find info to support this.

however, issue about jmicron controller that most people complain is difficulty in installing XP on raid drive cos XP cd doesn't have driver come with it. therefore, a floppy disk with driver is needed to load with F6 option during install process. And if there is no floppy drive available, you'll have to install XP on the drive connected to jmicron port configured as ide mode first. then, move the drive to intel port (configured as ide also) and install latest intel matrix manager. then, set bios so both jmicron & intel configure as raid...and continue boot process..that's it.

Last edited:
Figured it out. after googling and searching and asking.
STUPID ASUS. Here's what you have to do to get it to work.
The board has TWO Raid controllers. Disable the Jbcrap one because that is the that requires you to connect TWO external drives to raid...(wtf external raid...i know)
Second Raid is the Intel Matrix raid.
How to enable that.
Reset bios to default
Disable the Jbcrap one (that also disables your IDE port aka Cdrom for most of us.)
Go into IDE and change it to RAID and enable boot addon. save reboot before you even get the asus screen like as its rebooting hit contrl I over and over and over (might get you a few tries) but BAM you get into the intel menu once you get in once its activated. your a happy camper.

Hi I am trying to do this and I don't seem to find "RAID" in the IDE part after doing these settings. Sorry if I know this forum was 2 years ago now but I am also trying to do it too. Thanks

Back