• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing a 990FX mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukart

Registered
Hey guys, winter came.. and my unfortunately I think my MSI mobo died with the cold winter, before I had already soo many issues with it and as such I need a replacement.
Looking for a mobo with CF options, for my 2 290! :D
what do you guys suggest? Trying to stay out of MSI for a while ...

As I previously said Asrock is having good models out there for AMD high end product line even when the AMD market in not improving.. could you check 990FX Extreme6 ? packs good specs and decent pricing?

What cpu? If it's one of the 8 core monsters, you're better off spending the couple extra big macs and have something that WILL LAST forever.

Last edited:
i have never seen a 990FX EXT 6 for sale in the Usa. This is what Asrock says: This model may not be sold worldwide. Please contact your local dealer for the availability of this model in your region.
RGone...ster.

From the looks and ads it should do fine but no one here has tried this board. Took a quick look at the bios option in the manualand it has APM which is a plus but couldn't find any LLC controls which is something I would want. This helps you control the Vdroop under load

I've had good luck with my UD3 however I dont OC so I don't know how well it does in that area.

I've had good luck with my UD3 however I dont OC so I don't know how well it does in that area.
A lot of that depens on the revision of the board. The rev.3 were terrible for throttling and no ability to get around it.

couldn't find any LLC controls which is something I would want. This helps you control the Vdroop under load

The EXT 6 must be like the KILLER then in that it does not have manual CPU_LLC adjustment in bios either and the one long-term user of the KILLER in this forum area was tickled when he moved on TO the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.
RGone...ster.

The EXT 6 must be like the KILLER then in that it does not have manual CPU_LLC adjustment in bios either and the one long-term user of the KILLER in this forum area was tickled when he moved on TO the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.
RGone...ster.

:clap:

Yeah theres really no comparison between the two. Been running 4.7 non stop for months, not even a hiccup.

:clap:

Yeah theres really no comparison between the two. Been running 4.7 non stop for months, not even a hiccup.

And see you can say there is no comparison, yet the KILLER did pretty darn good for a $135.00 motherboard. The problem is that the good boards with really good VRM circuits, make the overclock so much better and you do not wind-up chasing around wondering what in the heck might be causing instability when cpu power delivery is precise and clean.

Thanks for giving us a shout..."bob".
RGone...ster.

And see you can say there is no comparison, yet the KILLER did pretty darn good for a $135.00 motherboard. The problem is that the good boards with really good VRM circuits, make the overclock so much better and you do not wind-up chasing around wondering what in the heck might be causing instability when cpu power delivery is precise and clean.

Thanks for giving us a shout..."bob".
RGone...ster.

Off topic, but I HATE when you put my name in quotes haha.

Anywho, yeah, the killer was a good board. For the feature set and strength, I'd buy it again if I wasn't gonna do much over clocking. Again, mine didn't have any inherent problems, the PSU frying probably was 100% the cause of it.

Back