• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing a CPU cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stuuut

Hello people,

Well i have recently ordered a new system wich is the following:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 kit
PSU: XFX Black Edition Modular 850W
Drive: LG BH10LS30
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (SATA3)

Now i'm looking for a good but nice looking cooler wich turns out to be kinda hard. In the netherlands alot of people recommend the Mugen 2 Rev. B but it looks like it comes straight from a junkyard so thats not an option. Also i find the Noctua NH-D14 and Silver Arrow ugly.

So i was thinking of going for this:
Thermalright Venomous X Black Edition
2x NoiseBlocker 120mm M12-P PWM Casefan

Wich looks pretty awesome but will this cool good? With what cooler can i compare the preformance of my setup?
Or do you guys have any other suggestions for good coolers performance and looks(don't know how its said in english) wise.

I have also been looking at the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro C1 but well its a whopping 1,5 kg will my mobo be able to hold this i mean doesn't it bent?

Greetings
Stuuut

Yes i did read some reviews but some say its good some say its not so good....
I mean there are a few review sites where its almost as good (few degrees above) as the Noctua NH-D14 but it all depends on the fans i guess. I've seen some reviews of it and these seem to have a nice combination of airflow and noise lvl but i don't know what a good airflow is for this heatsink.

I usually don't make much of a degree or two differnce between one cooler and another. That said since your main criteria is looks or aesthetics, the cooling seems secondary. When one says it is super and the other hates something, the truth is in the middle. That is just the way people view something. I expect the ones that do not suit your sense of taste are likely a little better at real cooling, but a few degrees is going to matter very little overall.

I usually don't make much of a degree or two differnce between one cooler and another. That said since your main criteria is looks or aesthetics, the cooling seems secondary. When one says it is super and the other hates something, the truth is in the middle. That is just the way people view something. I expect the ones that do not suit your sense of taste are likely a little better at real cooling, but a few degrees is going to matter very little overall.

Thnx for the advice :)
So here is a review site i think its a pretty respected site http://www.guru3d.com/article/thermalright-venomous-x-review/6
It seems to be doing pretty well, is it trust worthy? And what do you think of the results?

A couple more TR heatsinks

Sorry might be a dumb question but what does TR stand for?? :eh?:

Anyways now that i know the heatsink is good are thoes fans recommended or are there any better performance/noise ratio wise fans? I could only find a few fan roundups with thoes fans in it.

EDIT:
Here is a chart seems to be one of the top fans
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/pictur...140-fans-roundup/10_diagr_cfm-dba_big.png&1=1
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_28.html#sect0

Sorry, it's Thermalright.

I don't know much about those fans really...

If you're going to go push-pull on the fan setup, you may want to get a Y-splitter for the fans so you can connect both to the same motherboard header for speed control.

Sorry, it's Thermalright.

I don't know much about those fans really...

If you're going to go push-pull on the fan setup, you may want to get a Y-splitter for the fans so you can connect both to the same motherboard header for speed control.

Awesome that was going to be my next question :p anyways so a Y-splitter and what thermal paste do you guys recommend? Heared people about Artic Silver 5

Then i guess i'll be ordering this :clap:

BTW thoes fan have 4 pins do i need a y-splitter thats 4 to 3 pins or 4 to 4 pins?

If you want good looking, I suggest the Thermaltake Frio or the Cooler Master V6GT. Both are plenty powerful to cool a 2500K, but the VenX is a better performing heatsink, overkill for Sandy Bridge though.
thermaltake_frio_forums.jpg

coolermaster-v6gt.jpg

There are plenty of good pastes. AS5 was really popular, but there are pastes that are as good or better that aren't electrically conductive. A tube of Chill Factor should come with the Venomous X, just use that :thup:

BTW thoes fan have 4 pins do i need a y-splitter thats 4 to 3 pins or 4 to 4 pins?

If you want to use PWM to control the fans, you'll need a 4-pin splitter. I would go that route. However, you can use 3-pin headers with PWM fans, but you'll just have to control them with voltage instead.

Hello friends,

I'm new in the forum, want to change the stock cooler for my amd phenom ii x4 955 BE C3, i need your help because i dont know what is best option for my MoBo GA-880GM-USB3. Any options i think are the cooler master V8 and cooler master n620, well i hope you can help me about it.

Best regards.

Hello people,

Well i have recently ordered a new system wich is the following:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 kit
PSU: XFX Black Edition Modular 850W
Drive: LG BH10LS30
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (SATA3)

Now i'm looking for a good but nice looking cooler wich turns out to be kinda hard. In the netherlands alot of people recommend the Mugen 2 Rev. B but it looks like it comes straight from a junkyard so thats not an option. Also i find the Noctua NH-D14 and Silver Arrow ugly.

So i was thinking of going for this:
Thermalright Venomous X Black Edition
2x NoiseBlocker 120mm M12-P PWM Casefan

Wich looks pretty awesome but will this cool good? With what cooler can i compare the preformance of my setup?
Or do you guys have any other suggestions for good coolers performance and looks(don't know how its said in english) wise.

I have also been looking at the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro C1 but well its a whopping 1,5 kg will my mobo be able to hold this i mean doesn't it bent?

Greetings
Stuuut

Corsair h100 all the way .. best cooler i ever own .

Back