• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Choosing a CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeon02

I'm currently trying to figure out which CPU I should buy for my build. (First build)
Currently I have:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA 970A-DS3
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X
PSU: 750w Corsair
Case: Rosewill Thor V2

I've been looking at the Phenom II X4 965 BE and the FX-6300. I do want to OC the CPU and the cooler I'm getting will probably be the Xigmatek Dark Knight II since it is on sale.

The computer will be for gaming. Mostly BF3, Skyrim, WoW, Elder Scrolls Online (whenever it comes out), Crysis, etc etc.

If Steamroller preforms amazingly I will be getting it when it is released.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

with the board you currently have you'd be borderline running and OC'ing the 6300

with the board you currently have you'd be borderline running and OC'ing the 6300

Agreed. No VRM heat sinks and only 4+1 phase VRM, so not really suited to any overclock of an FX-6300. FX-6300 might work if used as AMD designed the cpu to work.
RGone...

I'll admit I didn't do as much research on the board as I should have. I'll probably just return the the one I have and pick that one up along with the Phenom. Thanks!

I just hope Newegg will take it back. Someone tossed the manufacturers box that I had left in the garage. /rant.

I just went thru video card RMA for refund and the first thing they asked after saying they would do the RMA was did I have all the original packaging. So don't be surprised if they have an issue taking it back.
RGone...

Yea, they want the original packaging. Bummer.
No big deal though! My taxes should be here soon and I'll just get a damn good Mobo and a good processor. Probably the FX-6300 until Steamroller comes out.
I'll just hand my brother the Phenom and my old Mobo since he just plays WoW. Should be enough for him.

Any other good Mobo's for OCing other than the one that was linked earlier?

I have seen more than one person that is around here a good bit that sees the list of best for FX processors as listed this way.

1. CHV-z the one in retail now.
2. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 the one in retail now.
3. Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional.
4. Gigabyte UD5 and UD7 AM3+ boards
5. Then the UD3 series as the 970, 990X and 990FX are supposed to have the same VRM circuits and have been able to supply adequete VCore to the 8 core FX processsors but there are a number in here that moved from the UD3 hobbled at 4.5Ghz to an Asus Sabertooth 990FX and could run 4.9Ghz and up a little and stable.

For me I have the CHV non-Z and have been completely impressed with it. I have tested the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro and I like it very well. Not quite as much as I like my CHV but darn close and $70.00 less and able to run the big numbers as well.

Far too many have come into the forum here with cheap 970 boards that had cheap VRM circuits and the voltage to the cpus is all over the map killing stability OR throttling the cpu voltage so no big overclock was able to be run. Cheap is just that...cheap. Economical is a balance of price based on what one really "needs" to do.
RGone...

I really like that Sabertooth and Gigabyte UD7. Is one better than the other or are they both fairly equal when it comes to how they are made?

I did cheap out the current one but that won't happen this time. :p

I'll be picking up one or the other when I get taxes back plus a new CPU.

I would say that with the number of people that offer assistance in this forum section that have a Sabertooth board that it would be the safer bet for use. More is known about how the Sabetooth acts than a UD7. That situation is a comfort to me since I 'know' these guys and IF I were in need of help, they are around.

However if " I ", myself, decided to give a go at the UD7, it would be okay for me since I know my way around any motherboard. With the Fatal1ty being a differnt brand and had a different way of doing things, it took me only about 30 mins to move from my CHV to the Asrock board. Well until I had a brain-faht and lost my way the other day. But even then I knew how to determine what I had erred doing.

And you have to remember how good I feel about the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional mobo since it ranks way up there with me and certainly so for the money and a bunch of goodies that come in the mobo box.
RGone...

I'll probably take the Sabertooth just because so many have it and can help me out if I need anything. Thank you a lot! I really appreciate the help!

I cannot see any FX processor that gets the most of its' performance unless it is using at least DDR1866. I like my Gskil very well at DDR1866 and my DDR1600 was a waste.
RGone...

I cannot see any FX processor that gets the most of its' performance unless it is using at least DDR1866. I like my Gskil very well at DDR1866 and my DDR1600 was a waste.
RGone...

Please explain.Those are my specs in Sig.What advantage in gaming and general use.The more I read the less I know.Sorry.Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Please explain.Those are my specs in Sig.What advantage in gaming and general use.The more I read the less I know.Sorry.Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

The shortest non-hijacking answer is that as I have put faster ram in and adjusted for such, the benchmarks that I run, have all indicated a performance increase. I am sure there is a limit but generally speaking since the FX processor supports at least two sticks of ram at DDR1866 and I have inserted those two sticks replacing DDR1600, the bench results for me increased. This same has been experienced by now more that just a few friends in and around the forum; that are using the FX processors.

This result against the earlier Phenom2 processors that AMD only certified at DDR1333 but now has a new processor with two sticks rated at DDR1866.
RGone...

Back