• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help compatibility question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archaeon

Does anybody know if a mobo that was designed for second gen i3/i5/i7 cpu's will run a 3rd gen i3? I was told at micro center my board would definitely run it cuz it's the right socket but on boot I get no video. There is no onboard video out. Upgraded my graphics card but no dice. I think it must be the cpu and they were wrong, but I don't know for sure. This is my first build.

Board: ASUS P8P67 LE Socket: LGA 1155
Cpu: Core i3-3225
Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4 DDR3
Gfx: Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
PSU: Corsair TX 650w

Cool! Thanks, guys! Not sure if that's all it is but it definitely answers my question! I'd hate to buy a Sandy Bridge when this i3 was already just a temp until I can afford an i5. Think I'll take it to the shop and see if they'll slap a Sandy Bridge in it for me, and flash the BIOS (crosses fingers). By the way, that 650w PSU should be enough, shouldn't it? The graphics card (GTX 650) supposedly only requires 400w. I wouldn't think the rest of the system would add much to the requirement, would it? Thank you for the responses! Like I said it's my first build, so please forgive my ignorance!

Back