• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help filling in the HWbot submissions etc!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only bench I recall being quoted was WPrime. I never installed the patch so have no Idea wether it would have helped but my bench scores were right where they should have benn when comparing to others. Usually a bit better :bday:

I have tried it and the result is i have 4 or 5 Parked cores doing nothing, so i used the App to have them all working. So far i have not had any problems, did a test run with Catzilla only 1,000 points off my single score.

That is running @ 4.2 instead of 4.7 now it could be the clocks or the Benchmark it self, but it works OK for me! Just open your resource manager and check if you have any PARKED CORES! It will not hurt anything by just looking, but it will give you a idea how things are working.

Then if you want to give it a try!

AJ.

We know the process works... but how does it respond in benchmarks is the real question. If you are going to test it, you need to be empirical about it for anyone to trust in the results. ;)

With respect, as posted, I have no idea what the original score was, without it, with parking disabled... etc. Be concise, be clear... I look forward to seeing your testing across both 3D and 2D benchmarks!

Correct but i have not got your kind of skills, sorry about that, just looking at something new to me. I have to sit back and think of a way to do this properly ED any tips from you!

AJ.

Correct but i have not got your kind of skills, sorry about that, just looking at something new to me. I have to sit back and think of a way to do this properly ED any tips from you!

AJ.

Only change one thing at a time. Record the data (preferably an average of multiple runs) before and after the singular change.
Then you can see if that one change helped or hurt performance for that one benchmark.

How I would do it... I wouldn't do Catzilla... as was said already it is not consistent so that is a bad test as you do not know if changes you made were from core parking or run variance.

This is what I would do, I would test 2D (Wprime and SuperPi, multi threaded/single threaded) I would make 3 runs of each to get an average. Then unpark the cores, and retest the same way.

Try it on 3D benchmarks as well.. ones that respond to CPU (Vantage, 11, Firestrike)... same process. Here though, write down all scores.

EDIT: It should go without saying (saying it anyway), that you settings must be exactly the same across the board. Change ONLY the parking thing.

EDIT2: Again though, last I recall hearing about this, there were not many(any?) improvements in benchmarks. If it was a big deal, someone would have heard about it, and it also would more than likely be in the Little Black Book...that said, some worthwhile testing to put it to bed again would be great.

OK at least i have a basic set up to work with now, and how to carry it forward, will look at this over the next week or so. As i have my friends back tomorrow and for the rest of the week, till they go back to Canada!

Thanks.

Question for ED?? ;)

Have you ever used, PLL Termination + PLL Overvoltage and if so what are you ideas about these in the Bios!

So far i have seen most people setting PLL Term @ 1.45v and PLL Overvoltage to Enable!

Looking on the ROG Site they say AIR = 1.4v to 1.475v or So!

Cold = 1.5v to 1.55v or So!

Would like to hear what you have to say plus anyone else who is using this feature in there Bios. And what are there results?? :shrug: :salute:

AJ.

I really have not pushed my 4930K past 4.7Ghz so far... to that point, it wasn't needed.

On the 4770K. I left those at default (disabled for PLL Override) to 6.3Ghz IIRC... the PLL Overvoltage was needed on Sandybridge to get you through a multiplier wall. It was as low as 4.5Ghz up to slightly over 5Ghz IIRC. IB I didn't touch it, nor Haswell.

Maybe on the 4930K it is used past where I had it, but, so far, I did not need it. I do not even know what the default voltage is on the PLL term... LOL!

Someone who has actually pushed the 4930K would be better equipped to help. ;)

Maybe our good friend Woomack will drop by and give us a answer ED! I have just set mine to 1.45v according to else where, its used with 4930K + 4960X. It is said to help with your OC and smooth things out?

Been looking @ Raja from Asus of late and picking up some tips and pointers from him, there is a new Bios coming soon 0602 i think for this Mobo. He is working and testing it as we chat!

Regards,

ME!

I couldn't even find PLL termination voltage in my BIOS... maybe I missed something. Generally I'm setting PLL options to default or near default as I haven't seen any difference on my CPU.
PLL adjustments are good when you hit some wall and you still wish to make couple of MHz more. Then PLL is sometimes helping but not always. A lot depends from CPU itself as some like high or low PLL so there is no rule about it.
My 3770K likes low PLL, 4770K ( that died ) liked high PLL, 4930K works best on about default settings.

For sure PLL adjustments won't help you much on air/water cooling and clocks below 5GHz.

Last edited:
I heard increasing PLL helps with extreme high clocks but it never did anything for me on clocks achievable on water/air. Internal pll overvoltage on the other hand did seem to improve stability at clocks around 4.8ghz on all my sandy/ivy and SB-E rigs.

Well to stop any confusion guys i will post this Bios shot so we are all looking @ the same thing here!

View attachment 140206184259.BMP

You can clearly see from this post what we are chatting about, and thanks for the reply's.

AJ.

Not sure anyone misunderstood, its just that every bios is different and some may not have that option in it... goes to show its (lack of) importance as was essentially detailed here for the clocks you can reach with ambient cooling. ;)

For sure PLL adjustments won't help you much on air/water cooling and clocks below 5GHz.

I wish to confirm after chatting with Raja @ Asus his advice is to leave it on AUTO, unless your really cold or high RAM OVERCLOCK SPEEDS!!

Thanks for everyone who posted!

AJ.

Last edited:
Back