• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help for an old-timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Hello gentlmen,

It's been quite a while since I've posted but I still am alive and well.

I built a respectable machine back in 2011 with the following specs:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

G.SKILL Ripjaws + Turbulence II Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBRHD

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible

Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,Full mesh design front bezel, comes with Six Fans

2 x HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

I decided recently that I wanted to upgrade my RAM with another 6GB in the form of a identical triple-channel kit - however they no longer sell this G.Skill kit.

I've searched high and low but can't find anything even similar to what I have now.

My question is: Should I GUT and replace or [preferable] would I be ok with this triple channel kit and mixing/matching:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory ($60 on newegg vs $$$ for all new RAM)

I noticed the timing using CPU-Z on my current ram is 8-8-8-20, and this kit is 9-9-9-24 - if I manually set the timing for all sticks to 9-9-9-24 in theory all memory new and old should play nice right?

Unfortunately, no OCing involved this time.

Good to be back. Thanks as always for the thoughts...

Hey!

Happy new year! (almost 11 a.m here :bday:)

The issue with mixing the RAM kits is that it doesn't depend on the timings you use (you need them to be the same but it isn't enough to guarantee you everything works fine). RAM sticks should come from the same production serie out of the factory so that everything is as identical as possible: design, firmware, etc...

So basically: if you're mixing two different kits afterwards, it MAY work but there is absolutely no guarantee to it :shrug:
More viable option: go for a 24GB (6*4) triple channel kit like this one :)
G Skill Ripjaws Series 24 GB Triple Channel 1600MHz

I hope it helps :thup:

G.SKILL Ripjaws + Turbulence II Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBRHD

Should I GUT and replace or [preferable] would I be ok with this triple channel kit and mixing/matching:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory ($60 on newegg vs $$$ for all new RAM)

I noticed the timing using CPU-Z on my current ram is 8-8-8-20, and this kit is 9-9-9-24 - if I manually set the timing for all sticks to 9-9-9-24 in theory all memory new and old should play nice right?
In my limited experience with making RAM SPD settings too aggressive for the computer to boot with that RAM, the computer will use the settings of the slowest module, at least the slowest module in the bank.

You shouldn't have problems unless the RAM's SPD was overclocked too much at the factory. G.Skill and about everybody else almost always overclock, and G.Skill's 1600 modules are typically made with name branded 1333 MHz 9-9-9 chips.

You shouldn't have problems unless the RAM's SPD was overclocked too much at the factory. G.Skill and about everybody else almost always overclock, and G.Skill's 1600 modules are typically made with name branded 1333 MHz 9-9-9 chips.
You are still going on with this...? :facepalm:

Members and staff have told you to stop with that. While you may be right, the fact is that does not matter. TMI as always... :sly:

Back