• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! fsp180-50pla for Sonicwall Firewall Pro2040

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrabbix

Registered
I have been working with a client who needed to replace the PSU on their Sonicwall Firewall Pro 2040. The original PSU had the 20-rail, and a white/black cable for the power switch. The replacement he got (both Serial # fsp180-50pla... *sigh) is the PC style with the same rail, but molex, sata, and CPU4-pin connectors.

I've read that I should be able to make this work, but I wanted to ask you guys before I started making a mess of things!

I have a pic of the original and new PSU if someone needs clarification.

Thanks guys!

Please do post the pics, including connectors and such. That'll make life easier.

Here is the old and new PSUs. I have not got a photo of the motherboard it was plugged into unfortunately.

(Old PSU had just the rail and the white/black cables for the power switch, new PSU has standard PC connectors)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 905
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 714
I think, I'm not positive, but I think, that the black/white are probably just for hard-shutdown of the unit. It may well work simply by plugging it in. Does the other hand have a standard wall power cord of some sort?

Are the wire colors/locations the same in both motherboard connectors?

I think you are correct, and that the power cables from the original one are just a hard off switch for the PSU (from what I've read online anyhow). I do believe the rails are identical on both the old and new PSUs. I have never seen this project in person, I only have those two photos and the client's description of the problem, I just wanted to get some people to weigh in before I drove out there to do further testing.

Thanks again!

maybe just me but the white/black are using some thick wires just for a hard shut off switch. unless what your saying is, which i didnt figure out from the posts. is the white/black are to the ac input to that psu through a "middle man" to control the hard off,on switch.

Now I have not seen the unit in person yet, but the interweb mentioned a couple of places that the software had no shutdown switch, so this may indeed be just the main power feed which goes through a hard switch on the unit.

(Though if someone intimately familiar with this particular firewall could clarify, I'd be happy to be corrected.)

Back