• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help get my Q6600 to 3600Mhz and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abarth_1200

Hey, decided to stick with my GO stepping Q6600, I have it at set at 389 x 9 to get me 3500 Mhz, I tried 400 x9 and set my ram to 800Mhz which is what it is rated at but i keep freezing while loading windows so im back down at 389 with my FSB:Dram ratio at 1:1, how can I split this ratio the other way so that my ram stays under 400?? and my FSB gets 400 and up, do I need faster Ram to achieve this?

It also says in bios not to set ram below 800mhz incase of system instability but when its at 389 bus speed with a 1:1 ratio it runs perfect, only when I try for 400mhz it gives up on me.

Ratio CMOS Setting - 09
FSB Frequency - 389
CPU **** Skew - Delay 100ps
NB Clock Skew - Normal
FSB Strap to North Bridge - AUTO (closest option for my ram speed is 333 if I select anything else it appears as though my ram gets bumped up to run too fast)
DRAM Frequency - DDR2-779MHZ

PCIE 100

CPU Voltage 1.32
FSB Termination Voltage 1.32
CPU PLL 1.5
Dram 1.82
NB 1.4
SB 1.1

CPU GTL core0 auto
CPU GTL core1 -40mv
CPU GTL core2 auto
CPU GTL Core3 -40mv
NB GTL REF -80mv

Any templates for BIOS settings I can copy and fill in for you guys to help me out.

All ram timings set to correct manufacture timings, I run stable on prime 95 small ffts and blend and also memetest86plus passed, load temp is 61 max degrees celcius,

Last edited:
If you have a DDR2 800 Ram like it says in your sig then you shouldn't have a problem setting up your FSB to 400 which would get you to 3.6GHz like you wanted.

I'm thinking your memory voltage is set to low and that you are running them on tight timings.

Try changing your memory voltage to 2.1 or 2.2v. I'f we've the same reapers that should be what its set at. Change your timings to 5-5-5-15 just to loosen it up and get it out of the way of your CPU OC. Then bump up your FSB to 400 again. See how that goes.

If that doesn't help try bumping up your NB to around 1.45.

If neither helps you might need more juice on the CPU, don't be shy with it. Watch your temps though :D

Back when those boards and chipsets were new, they had an issue with latching the correct chipset to memory link when DEAD ON a breakover point and 400 was such breakover point. I always went to 402 or 403 to allow chipset latching without possible problem from that situation.

My PERFECTLY stable 3627 Mhz:
9 x 403 Mhz
PCIE: 103 Mhz
CPU vcore: 1.46250 V
FSB terminal: 1.32 V
NB vcore: 1.40 V
SB vcore: 1.20 V
PLL: 1.60 V
Strap: 333 Mhz
Ram: stock + 0.1 V (with veeery tight timings) @ 806 Mhz 4-4-4-14-3-5-35-3
GTL: all auto

I'm thinking your memory voltage is set to low and that you are running them on tight timings.

Try changing your memory voltage to 2.1 or 2.2v. I'f we've the same reapers that should be what its set at. Change your timings to 5-5-5-15 just to loosen it up and get it out of the way of your CPU OC. Then bump up your FSB to 400 again. See how that goes.

My stock specs for my ram are 1.8v and 5 5 5 15, I have tried combinations of 2v and 6 6 6 18 and even 7, what way loosens the timings I thought a lower number was tighter?

I have also tried 401 403 and even whacked all my voltages up very high

I certainly don't think I would be putting 2.1Volts or greater on that ram. It was the early 1.8v ram. Its EVP rating was only 1.85V. You might also try the Tras at 18 not 15 if the bios will allow that setting.

800MHzDDR2
5-5-5-18(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Available in 4GB (2x2048MB)Dual Channel Kits
Unbuffered
OCZ Lifetime Warranty
1.8 Volts
240 Pin DIMM
4GB (2x2048) D/C Kit PN - OCZ2RPR8004GK

I found this old thread in the forum and one user was trying to help out. The original poster never came back with his results. Shett way of doing. But the one trying to help listed all the major settings he was using. You might try the drop of multiplier and getting way past the 400 latch speed.

Note: Most of that ram you have would do DDR912 stable at 1.85V. CpuZ would show that as 456 ram speed.

MIIF is better with duals than quads but still an excellent choice.

Depending on your chip 450x8 will yeild the best bandwidth and I would recommend it

Need your ram specs it will help but no reason you cant run 1:1 and tighten timings if your kits is not up to 1080MHz

So lets start off here if your chip wont do 3.6GHz drop the FSB Frequency to 425 for 3.4GHz

OK a little update on my progress, I have set a 450x8 overclock and swapped my OCZ ram out for some Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066Mhz 5 5 5 15 2V so im not putting the RAM under any overclock, actually underclocking it and im still not stabe.

I have set the FSB to North bridge strap at 333mhz so my ram is running at 901Mhz.

CPU Voltage 1.37
FSB Termination Voltage 1.4
CPU PLL 1.54
Dram 2.04
NB 1.45
SB 1.1

As you can see my voltages arent low, I can run Prime 95 all day long with small FFT's which shows my CPU is stable at these volts, however when I run Blend I get Fatal Errors saying rounding wasnt expected.

I have been upping my FSB termination voltage thinking this has been the cause but I keep getting a failure.

Also set all my GTL voltages back to auto.

Is my North bridge voltage too low? do I really need to go higher.

Also because I currently only have 2 gig of ram when I select Blend on Prime 95 my CPU load doenst get maxed out, I have to run a custom torture test and dial in 1024MB of ram, does this sound about right

A FSB : DRAM ratio of 1:1 = a x2 DRAM multiplier (2.0 System Memory Multiplier). And the MCH strap option in your BIOS is called FSB Strap to North Bridge.

Back