• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help ! Good hardware stores in LA open in Saturday !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heliok

Guys,

Im gonna be in LA during the weekend and would like to know good stores where I can buy good hardware on Saturday

What I'm looking for
- DFI NF4 Ultra D
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Box
- 1 Gb Memory Corsair XL Pro ou GSKill
- ATI X800 PCI-E 256Mb

Any help will be appreciated since I dont know LA very well.

Tks

Helio

I suggest that once you get to LA, you get a phone book and call the hardware stores to find out when they're open. Or, go to whitepages.com and call the stores before you even get to LA.

Guys,

San Diego will be fine also.

In Yellow Pages there are hundred of options, but most of theses stores don't have specialized parts as I want to buy.

Regards

Helio

skou said:
I think he said GOOD hardware stores.

That leaves Fry's out!

steve

That depends on what your definition of Good is with a computer store.

Frys has a huge selection, decent prices for a brick and mortar store, some OK sales prices, and did I say huge selection.

Now for the Bad: There employees are not good with product knowledge so know what you want before you go. Do not buy anything with a white sticker or a product that even hints of being a returned product. Fry's rebates are notoriously slow and strict. If you are going to buy something with rebate make sure it is a manufacturer rebate and not a frys rebate or just do not use the rebate price as a part of your decision to buy the product. Another bad thing is the return line (can be a long wait) if something needs to be returned.

Most of us here know more about the products we are going to get a a store so the knowledge of the sales guys does not matter.

Skou, if I missed any of the bad list please add to it:D

For southern California I would say Fry's also. Its the only place you'll find good selection at decent prices. Another good choice would be PCclub, because usually they will let you look at the CPU before you buy it.

Kendan said:
Skou, if I missed any of the bad list please add to it:D

Just one more thing Kendan;

"Not all of the re-packaged stuff has a sticker on it."

And that, in my (never to be) humble opinion, is the worst.

But, as you alluded to, they DO have tons of CRAP.

In my opinion, this is the absolutely WORST store a visitor could go to, to buy an expensive piece of hardware. This guy goes to Fry's, buys a (let's say) a motherboard, get's it home in Peoria, 1500 miles away from that Fry's, and finds out he has a 2 pound, $125 paperweight.

steve

skou said:
Just one more thing Kendan;

"Not all of the re-packaged stuff has a sticker on it."

And that, in my (never to be) humble opinion, is the worst.

But, as you alluded to, they DO have tons of CRAP.

In my opinion, this is the absolutely WORST store a visitor could go to, to buy an expensive piece of hardware. This guy goes to Fry's, buys a (let's say) a motherboard, get's it home in Peoria, 1500 miles away from that Fry's, and finds out he has a 2 pound, $125 paperweight.

steve

I do agree with you that sometimes returned stuff does not get a sticker. But they do look at it before they allow a return so the paperweight thing is not very likely. I put this whole line in my previous post because you do need to check it out to make sure it hasn't been returned:
Do not buy anything with a white sticker or a product that even hints of being a returned product.

I would also say to open it there and make sure that everything is there. I realy do not see a difference between Fry's and lets say any other big electronics store except they mark there returns with a white sticker. Now Mom and Pop stores are a different story but you will not find the kind of deals at the smaller shops.

Kendan, I once got a modem. The un-marked box had a NIC inside, along with the CD and mounting instructions for the modem.

This guy's best bet, is to look at Newegg.

steve

I would agree about newegg. Did they replace it? That kind of thing can happen in store also. a thief takes the modem out and puts it in a cheaper nic box then buys the nic. This happens at every store not just Fry's which is why they started shrinkwrapping everything. The good stores will open the shrink wrap when an Item is brought back just to make sure it is the right product. There is also a thread on the forums where a guy got a brick instead of a TV at best buy. :eek: It is bad when it happens but it is worse when the store will not do the right thing and make it right.

Yeah, they took it back.

What I'm saying, is what if this poor guy is 2000 miles away, when he realizes his ABIT mobo, is an AsRock POS? He can't mail it to ABIT, he can't mail it to Fry's, he just got "scrooed"

Newegg won't do that.

steve

Back