• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help, i crushed my HD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow. when you said you moved the head back to park i was ceartain it was all over... thats supposed to damage the head. maybe these mini drives dont do that.

...congradulations, you're definately on the awesome list.

thanks, i figured it was already bad (kinda i guess). but i think that when i moved it, THAT's when i lost about 3-4gb. but 8gb recovered is better than nothing i guess.

recorded a clip of it working in the ziplock bag if anyone's interested, PM me...

:)

mai0f

I don't know whats more incredible, that you crushed the drive or that putting it in a ziplock bag and repositioning the head actually worked for data recovery. In any event +10 ballsiness factor

That's about a one-in-a-million shot of getting the data back. Great Job! I'm happy for you for getting what you could out of the drive and for a lot less that $1K.

Good job man! What kind of player is that? That drive looks exactly like the one in my 4th gen 20 gig ipod. One of the glass platters in mine got shattered in my car wreck (damn you toshiba for making them glass) and I had to buy a new drive for it. Its a pretty easy installation overall.

Thats insane that you actually got it working. Sweeet! :)

shellshock said:
Good job man! What kind of player is that? That drive looks exactly like the one in my 4th gen 20 gig ipod. One of the glass platters in mine got shattered in my car wreck (damn you toshiba for making them glass) and I had to buy a new drive for it. Its a pretty easy installation overall.

Thats insane that you actually got it working. Sweeet! :)

it's the iRiver H320, it uses the toshiba 1.8 20GB HDD (MK2004GAL), i'm thinking about purchacing the 30GB (MK3006GAL), still single platter... i just need to make sure i'm not going to crush anything... lol..

mai0f

WOW! VERY NICE! A friend of mine has that player, I'm sure he'll be amused to hear about this. BTW: Another friend of mine crushed his Apple iPod (2nd Gen) when he fell asleep with it in his pocket and his car keys left a good size dent that was not just the back cover, but dented the hard drive housing as well. Yea..it died from that, btw, heh.

mr. roboto said:
wow, as i was reading that i was thinkig that there was no way that this story had a happy ending, but i was wrong, nice work.

Indeed. I think I would have messed that up so easily, I would never try it in the first place.

Sounds like our Sony Walkman 5gb player that we have up at the store... This customer walks in and goes this player is fragile enough to kill it without dropping it. I was like nah its not that bad... He picks it up while its on and puts it between his thumb and two fingers and squeezes just a bit and I hear him stop the drive, WOW!! A week later... she never boots again. Wish we would have made that guy pay for it but he didn't kill it then and there suprisingly.

Congrats on the save... thats nuts that it actually worked. Talk about ghetto/redneck engineering a stupidly high precision piece of equipment, haha!! Good enough for government work, eh??

Richard

Back