• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I need to find some RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

I need help locating some RDRAM at a reasonable price. It's for a Dell Dimension 8200.

The issue is that it doesn't use regular RAM. It uses RDRAM (rambus). WTF!?
I'd like to find 4 512Mb sticks, and they have to be 40ns (800-40) they can be ECC or non-ECC.
My issue is that i can't seem to find them for any less than 100$ EACH. at zipzoomfly. Newegg no longer carries them, and i'm not sure where else to look.
FlEbay has sets of 2 512 for 100$ (though I might get an auction cheaper, FlEbay still scares me a bit - had a few bad transactions)
I still don't want to spend 200$ on this, I could buy a better computer for that much!

Last edited:
$100 each is fairly cheap, really. The last time i looked 1gb units cost about half their bus speed.

I know the system is old but i like to use stuff while it still works, I don't need a 1gb stick i need 2-4 512Mb sticks. The computer is running on two 256Mb sticks now and doing OK, I've got LinuxMint7 on it and it's behaving nicely. Runs flash fine, runs my programs fine, I just need a little more ram.

Still If I can't get 2 512 sticks for 40 or less I'll just relegate this to basic internet and word processing. I have another computer I can work into being my HTPC. and it uses SDRAM wohoo! (I've actually got 3Gb in that one)

Look thru the Anandtech "For Sale" section, you can browse there as a member without a minimum post count so if you aren't a member now, you can register and shop right away. Seems to me that I've seen Rambus sticks for sale there...just don't recall the specifics.

In addition, consider starting a "Want to Buy" thread in the OCF Classifieds.

Might be worth a try.

The link was dead and evidently my brain too. I still can't find it....

You need to contact an Admin or a Mod, 'cause the link works for me and the section "Wanted" is visible in the Classifieds, 4th from the bottom, just above "Services".

Can't figure why you don't see it unless for some reason your profile has been blocked. Did you do something you shouldn't have, you bad boy? :D

Back