• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Help* in pushing existing e7500 OC P43

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnknowablE

Firstly I think I should introduce myself as this is my first post however keeping it short as I should stay on topic and not wander so I will state the topic first and introduce myself at the end.

Overclocking intel Core2 Duo E7500 ([email protected]) to ~4ghz
(ps do strong tags work in this forum rather than the ?)

My system is: STABLE AT CURRENT SETTINGS
----------------------------------------------
CPU: E7500 @ 3.74ghz, 340mhz fsb and 11x multiplier (voltage sits at 1.37-1.38 default, temp 52degrees C in OCCT 34degrees C in idle)
Motherboard: Asus P5QL-E, P43, 1600*/1333/1066/800 MHz *Overclock speed, DDR2 1066/800/667
Ram: Corsair XMS2 800mhz 2gig single stick(have a choice of 2x1gig VS at 667 but figured I would buy another XMS in the coming weeks.)
Cooling: Old Zalman giganto copper CNPS, thermal paste applied thinly and properly. (1600rpm, blowing out side helped by extraction fan over the top)
Case: Thermaltake soprano 1st ed, 5 years old and needing an upgrade but still good airflow.
PSU: Thermaltake aftermarket 430w psu, rated for max 500. (this was bought BEFORE they had budget 430 and was a midrange, has lots of 12v railing free to my knowledge but I can post the specs if you wish, have a spare 500w psu but it isn't trusted)
--------------------------------------------

Other less important details, XFX4850 OC'ed (single sixpin) 2x500gig WD, 1x1tb WD, 2xDVD 1ide 1 sata (gotta use that ide port for something).

Now onto the fun things folks. I KNOW this cpu is capable of much more, I know I am using air-cooling but I am sure I can push it further and I have tried lowering the mult and upping the fsb to maintain a stable OC at higher levels but failed miserably (-cough- bios clear -cough-) but I was doing a stupid suicide run I knew would fail.

I have been doing ALOT of googling and general research on this and have come up with other's results but no play by play per say. (other than one person who upped his vc to 1.7 o_O... I like my cpu to last a LITTLE longer... yes he was on air also and getting temps over 60 IDLE)
I digress, anyone who can give me a few ideas would be VERY much appriciated.
ATM the machine can run Crysis at 1980x1200 no AA all on VH at an easily playable 28fps average but what I want the extra CPU for is that extra bit of power for encoding and SupCom and sheer overclocking *****dness of myself.

As for myself I am a graphic and web designer out of college now and hating freelance work(money is good I just hate clients and working from home), I have been light overclocking things for 5 years now starting with my old P4 3ghz which I took to 3.8 on an old ABIT A8XE - 3rd Eye mobo... where has thou gone ABIT of yonder.
I am quite the bibliophile and audiophile and split my interests in a 4:4:2 with computing respectively.
I hope to be frequenting this forum more and more as I constantly get new tech to play with and will be having fun with some REALLY strange setups over the next 6months.
Also gotta say... damn uploaded an avatar only to read that I can't use one for another 49 posts XD

Last edited:
Can you post your settings in BIOS?

CPU vcore = ??
CPU Vtt = ?
CPU PLL = ?
NB voltage = ?
SB voltage = ?
RAM voltage = ?

Instead of running 340x11, I highly recommend you to start with 400x9, then move to 9.5 and then finally 10x multiplier to sync 1:1 with your DDR2 800 RAM. Can you also post your power supply 12v amperage?

That'd be my recommendation too, set the ram to 1:1 so it's at 800 (400 before DDR) with the 400fsb. That way you don't have to worry about ram OCing/speeds.

What are your temps like?

Second 1:1. FSB to 400 multiplier to 10.

Find happy low voltages, stress test.

If it works well enough, you have big ones, and you don't mind a little risk (and have great cooling) see if that sucker will run 400x11 :p

Oh and PS-- Power supplies have come a long way. High end PSU's have more amps, much more accurate voltages, and generally assist the system in running happier and cooler and more stably.

Another thing is I am starting to notice a dramatic drop in tempratures, my guess the TIM is buring in.(if a bit fast... god only been one day)

Okay answering the universal questions atm
12V = 18amps
My ram is only at 850 atm... not 1:1 but damn close lol.

I have done some more stress tests
OCCT Normal 7hours: no errors, 34min, 52max, 0.2% vc flux and no power rail issues.
OCCT LinPack: First run ran at a max of FREAKING 70C... then came down to 57 when I ran a full 7hour stress test.

I know neither of these are a Prime or orthos test but I am saving that till I actually get a speed I want/am not perfectly sure it is safe.

I also have a seperate extraction 120mm fan that I am not running out the back that I may turn on (the ambient temp is by no means high but it will help the massive copper cpu sink)

Okay and away I go.

Can you post your settings in BIOS?

CPU vcore = ??
CPU Vtt = ?
CPU PLL = ?
NB voltage = ?
SB voltage = ?
RAM voltage = ?

Instead of running 340x11, I highly recommend you to start with 400x9, then move to 9.5 and then finally 10x multiplier to sync 1:1 with your DDR2 800 RAM. Can you also post your power supply 12v amperage?
argh knew I was missing posting something... I really shouldn't be doing these things early morning XD... oh well I will get onto that as soon as I finish what I am doing now.

That'd be my recommendation too, set the ram to 1:1 so it's at 800 (400 before DDR) with the 400fsb. That way you don't have to worry about ram OCing/speeds.

What are your temps like?

Second 1:1. FSB to 400 multiplier to 10.

Find happy low voltages, stress test.

If it works well enough, you have big ones, and you don't mind a little risk (and have great cooling) see if that sucker will run 400x11 :p

Oh and PS-- Power supplies have come a long way. High end PSU's have more amps, much more accurate voltages, and generally assist the system in running happier and cooler and more stably.
Yeah I am aware of this, however I know quite a few brands are still peddaling the same midgen psu from 3 years ago XD...

(to mods sorry for double post, I am not sure what the notification system is on this forum and so I am doing this to explain to people from now on I am going to be posting updates on information in the first post to keep things clean and indervidual responses as replies)

All system information current and past will be posted in the first post from now on with seperators to show the new edits... sorry for any confusion this may cause.

Back