• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help increasing voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

okay so my friend has a PC with an AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5GHz in it, and he said i could use it for overclock experimentation. i also have this CPU so i figured why not. so i got to 2.8GHz and windows didn't finished loading, and i got a blue screen. he said try a voltage boost. the current voltage is 1.328V. what should i increase it to? will this cause an extreme amount of heat? if anyone could help i'd appreciate it

The minimum to get it to boot and be stable... increasing voltage increases heat, sure. Keep that CPU under 60C using Coretemp.

The same advice in your other, strikingly similar thread, goes for this as well considering its the same exact CPU.

Vishera,

You should always monitor temps whenever you increase voltage. Earthdog suggested CoreTem and that is a great program for monitoring the temp of the CPU cores. Most of us use HWMonotor because it gives a lot of other useful information.

An integral part of safe and responsible overclocking is to monitor temps and voltages under load. I suggest before you start overclocking that CPU or adding any voltage that you set it back to stock frequencies and voltages. Stress it for 20 minutes with the Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open at the same time. At the end of the 20 minute stress test, report back to us with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. You guys need to find out if you have any temp room to overclock at all before you start jacking around with frequencies and voltages.

Here's how to attach a pic with a post:

First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard strokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Back