• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, is my ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hwilliams

Build Specs:
Intel i7 920 @4GH
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
24GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600
2x BFG GTX 285 SLI (One recently-fried GPU, so no more SLI)
Case: HAF932
Cooling: 3x 120mm Radiator / Swiftech MCP 655-B

This past Thursday evening, my rig of 6 years crashed. It happened while I stepped out of the room and when I came back, there was the unmistakable smell of burning electronics. The smell lead me to GPU #2 (closer to power supply) and it was there only. My heart sunk and his grown man nearly cried as I thought it ruined my whole system. I took it out, turned my pc back on, it booted fine for a moment and as soon as I saw the windows logo, it cut off again, I decided not to press my luck and investigate first. My first thought was "Oh $4!#T, my loop leaked!" But I am certain that wasn't the case now. Turns out the pump, while still spinning, doesn't move any water. Both my GPU's radiator fins were caked up with a ton of dust. And there is a small singe on a couple of pins on the atx connector. Aside from that, there are no burn marks on the motherboard, the CPU is still good, and beside the atx connector pin, the PSU is still in good shape. Memory is all fine. GPU#1 is still operational. Confession time: I haven't cleaned my system in several months but didn't realize how bad the problem was. I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean/dust/vacuum all the surviving components. I just got done.
Here are the problem areas:
20150129_214351.jpg 20150129_215820.jpg 20150129_224650.jpg 20150130_183052.jpg

I suspect my system is still mostly functional, I'm shopping around for a new pump, etc. and am going to redo my cooling loop completely.

I could chalk it all up to time-to-upgrade but I feel like the time isn't right to buy a new mobo (unless absolutely necessary) plus I don't want to lose my os config/program settings. Anyway, based on my research, most (if not all) motherboards supporting PCIe 3.0 split the data lanes to x8 / x8 if you use them in SLI. My plan is to replace my 285's with 2x 980's (maybe) and upgrade other components as time goes on. I really love my system. Can it survive for a while with the CPU/Mother as is? If not, I guess I'm going with a i7-4790K, decent Motherboard and Transfer my memory.

What shape does everyone think my system's in? Thanks in advance for any and all help. It's really appreciated.

Back