• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Is this a bad CPU? or OS problem? A64 X2 - Vista x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funko

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem and am in need of some help and input.

I went from:

a64 3500+ o/c'ed to 2.45 ghz (stock volts), mem running with 2/1.66 divider, (mem is rated for 200mhz ddr and had these exact sticks running at 215ddr with my axp setup)
nf3 gigabyte k8nsc 939 socket
vista x64
agp nvidia 6600gt

rock stable. no problems since vista launch

and then i changed the CPU to a A64 3800+ X2

stock settings, mem running slower than before (333 now) everything else is the same

WMP 11 crashes whenever i stream video form my school's website (lectures) but the entire system freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard doesn't input, no HD activity, forced to reboot.

i ran sp2004 (blend mode) for 5 mins - no problem, then ran sp2004 again for 4 hours, crashed after i pressed the "stop" button (black screen cursor changed to blue circle, but animation was frozen for the cursor) for 15 mins, so i rebooted.

i'm wondering if this is a bad cpu. i checked temps and temps went from 40C idle to upper 40's stressed, so temps seem ok. used artic ceramique with stock hs/f, very thin layer (best i could do with the sticky gunk!)

i tried googling for a number of hours but with these generic symptoms its hard to find anything that relates to me. anyone have any ideas?

out of frustration i also tried booting into windows and was able to do my usual web surfing, run f@h (single core regular version), use powerpoint, google apps, etc with no issues at 2.5 ghz (ht-250, everything else stock, memory down to 333) and didnt have any problems until i tried streaming lectures again from my school website (WMV stream) WMP11 plays files i have on my hard drive fine without freezing, but i can lock up the system by pausing the amv stream, and swtching from full-screen to window quickly about 15 times)

not sure if i shold be RMA'ing this CPU or not, i got it yesterday.

any help is appreciated!

edit: oh yeah please ignore the signature! i haven't been here since my axp days!

Have you tried installing the most up-to-date AMD processor driver for X2? And have you tried installing the Dual Core Optimizer? Both downloads can be found on this page.

wmp11 is crap. I've ditched it completely. It'll freeze randomly, generally when im trying to burn something.

I would try this alternative:www.bsplayer.com
--if you use this, it has some ad supporting software with it, windows defender automatically picks it up and will ask you if you want to remove it after installing bsplayer. After its removed, you'll have to reboot.
------------------

If the only thing you did was change the cpu, and nothing else, then one would have to assume that the chip is the problem. I dont know how Vista handles cpu upgrades... i know its not a big deal if your changing it out for a a faster cpu (3200+ to say a 4000+ (single core)) but going from single core to dual core might cause problems....

One would think that it wouldnt cause problems, but if all you did was swap cpus, its possible that going from single core to dual core might be the cause of your instability.

Try a bios update first and see if that helps, also try installing the drivers from amd's website.... they can be found here:http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182,00.html

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your help. I tried installing the Optimizer and drivers galore. Newegg only allows 7 days before RMA's arent allowed so I'm not going to take any chances and just eat the restocking fee and send this back. My a64 3500+ is running at 2.45ghz in my system again and frankly, its plenty for me. I appreciate your help!

Back