• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build temp rig to my 1st future rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenjiwatashimaa

Hi guys i was trying to build my very first rig, can you please help me on buying which best and affordable for my rig?

First of, i would be building my dream rig over a temporary rig. I'll explain my temporary rig: It will be used temporarily for office use, some photoshop editing, word processing and browsing NO GAMES aside from online games on facebook :p then i will upgrade this rig to be use as VIDEO EDITING machine in the future (future like 4-6 months after the temp rig).

Heres the idea, i will be buying first a
- CPU case (cm scout 2 already have)
- Power supply
- 256gb crucial m4 (which i already have)
- and a Monitor (asus mx239h already have)
as these are the components that does not need to be compatible or at least these are the hardware that i may not have to replace.

So now i have a cpu case (cm scout 2), ssd, a power supply (not yet sure) and a monitor (IPS since will use it on video editing)

On my temporary rig, i will be buying these hardwares (in 1155 setup, in the future i'd like it to be 1155 too):

cpu = Pentium g620
$47

mobo = ASRock B75M-DGS VSGIGAL mATX U3S3 Motherboard (B75M-DGS)
$60

ram = GSkill Sniper 8GB (4GBX2) DDR3 1600 / F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
$70

psu = HEC Cougar Power X 550watts
$61

gpu - PCI-E , ECS GT520 1GB-64bit DDR3
$30

Total = $268

Now once im done with this temporary rig, i will be replacing the Processor and GPU which i will give to my younger brother so he can setup his own rig through those hardware :)

Now my problem is that, does the MOBO will support my upcoming processor which is 3770k?
well i know on its compatibility list that it is, but i wonder if it has drawback like xmp or whatever technology bottle neck it is. Will it run the 3770k without a problem even if i overclock it in the future? cause if not i will retain the board. I am only looking for a board that is compatible with 3770k and run it with no problem. Also i dont need a lot of PCIe slot, i only need at least 1 as i would not be doing an SLI (never) also i need a sata 6/gbps for my ssd and USB3 (for my usb3 powered passport) which ASRock B75M-DGS already have. I know if it has a lot of slots it would be expensive, so please find me a cheap mobo if i have to replace it with same specs.

Then the RAM, when i change the motherboard because of the processor incompatibilty i know i have to change the RAM too so which do you suggest? also if i dont have to replace the motherboard then 8gb (2x4gb) is fine with me but if i have to i would be using 16gb (2x8gb) so please suggest a better ram for the mobo.

3rd problem is the PSU, why its a problem? because i will surely replace my GPU and I only have 2 candidate.

1) GTX 660TI (very much suggested by video editors)
2) GTX 780 because of having 300+ bit

well i had gtx680 before but its kinda low powered and i think have no real life difference over gtx660ti on after effects rendering or if it has it would not be noticeable like few seconds only, so i only choose between 660ti or jump to 780. So if i decide to go on whichever of the 2 i need to have a better PSU, in addition in the future i will also be using 3 monitors (asus mx239h) so i really need a good psu, NO SLI by the way.

Guys i really need your help on these. Also please give me tips on whatever i miss or let me know if i forgot something. :p

Thanks a lot and hoping that someone could help me.

You don't need to change RAM when you change the motherboard.

You need a Z77 board to overclock. The 3770K will work in the board you listed, but overclocking options will be very limited.

Corsair CX500 is a better/cheaper PSU that can run any of those GPUs with an Ivy Bridge CPU. Monitors have nothing to do with your PSU.

You can skip the GT520 and use the onboard video for the temp build.

1. That board supports a 3770K, yes. HOWEVER, the B75 chipset cannot overclock well if at all. So if you plan on overclocking, B75 isnt for you. Z77 is (Asrock Extreme 4 or ex6 are solid choices among others around the $130 price bracket)

2. You dont have to change ram with processors. Its DDR3. Get DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v and you will be good.

3. Use the onboard GPU on the CPU... assuming that b75 board has the ports.

4. I believe that is a quality PSU, and 550W is PLENTY for a single GPU setup even overclocking both the CPU and GPU.

EDIT: Ninja'd. LOL!

wow its really great to hear your opinions guys. :)

I learned that g620 limits the ram to 1066 only so i bought a 1066 ram instead which is 50% cheaper than 1600.

@EarthDog thanks for your effort i'd like to ask what if i dont have to overclock at all, should i just buy 3770 without the "k"? and maintain the board?

@Knufire thanks for the input ;)

Back