• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose and give me your vote for these Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

All;

I'm so sick of using the Artic Cooling MX-3, as they are just not friendly / easy to apply and I have narrow down to 3 replacements for it.

Thermalright Chill Factor III
Gelid Extreme
Thermaltake TG-1

If you have use any of these, please share some thoughts.

So you're looking more for ease of application and cost instead of trying to find which one gives 1 or 2 degrees difference in cooling?
I've used the TG-1, went on just fine for me, cured quickly too.

I only use Arctic Silver 5. I have used a number of other thermal pastes over the years, but once I tried AS5 for the first time I was sold on the stuff. I have no experience with any of the pastes you have listed there, but all things considered, it all falls down to your own personal preference. The ultimate difference in cooling efficiency between pastes isn't more than a few degrees anyway.

I had 0 issues applying MX-3 multiple times to CPUs and GPUs, I don't see how it could get any more friendly of put a larger rice-grain on the middle, smoosh + twist the HSF on it and clamp/screw down. /shrug.

Through the years I have tried numerous types of Thermal compound, I always seem to end up going back to AS-5 for the ease of application and the performance.

AS-5 is complete rubbish these days. It has high costs and doesn't perform anywhere near as good as MX-2.

Give Prolimatech PK-1 a try and realize just how old AS5 is now.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._Nano_Aluminum_Thermal_Compound_-_5_Gram.html

Skinnees review

Skinnelabs.com said:
Then there’s Prolimatech PK-1, it’s awesome. Its performance is great, it shows contact very well, it’s not expensive, and can be found in 5g or 30g syringes. Its worst quality is its cure, which seems to take a few hours. That’s not at all a big deal when you consider these TIMs are meant for long-term use. It’s the best paste this testbed has ever seen and its performance only comes second to Indigo Xtreme, and not by much if contact is at least decent.

http://skinneelabs.com/pk-1-asm-cmif/4/

In comparison here is his review of AS5

Skinneelabs said:
Then there’s Arctic Silver 5, the most popular and most acclaimed paste on the market. And it’s basically rubbish. In no metric is it better than MX-2, on average it’s over 2C worse than MX-2 and costs twice as much. MX-2, while it is great overall, isn’t even a great performing paste (it’s the baseline for good performance) and AS5 is far behind it. And on top of that, AS5 is capacitive, meaning it shouldn’t be used anywhere near exposed traces or SMD components (basically, should only be used on CPUs and GPUs with an IHS). Among the Arctic Silver pastes, Ceramique 2 is a better paste than AS5 in every way I can imagine and I can’t think of a situation where I would recommend Ceramique 2 to anybody. AS5 may be really popular, but in this day and age there’s no reason an informed consumer should buy it.

http://skinneelabs.com/as5-asc-asc2-review/5/

Also note that PK1 is $11 for 5 grams. AS5 is $12 for 3.5 grams.

No reason to use AS5 any longer.

*** takes like 200 hours or some sbyte to cure. Not overnight.

Mx2,3 or pk1 and don't make it harder than it needs to be.

The OP never replied. It's become a discussion thread.

Let it die folks, your wasting your efforts unless your not happy with the paste you use.

God forbid a discussion thread on a forum!

*you're

sorry for the late response. after 3 days of checking and not getting a single response, i thought no one cared.

i ended up buying Gelid Extreme.

i'm not complaining about MX3, but it was just not spread friendly

Sorry, but i didn't get the joke? Whats going on? :eh?:

and who said overnight? :rofl: it takes 250 hours.
Put it on BEFORE BED and LET IT CURE WHILE YOU SLEEP meant overnight to me. Wasnt talking, and didnt quote you though. :shrug:

Anyhoo, glad the OP picked his paste out. ;)

Back