• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose my new parts!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synn21588

Registered
Okay, with Christmas done and gone I now have, in my possession, about 700-800 bucks to drop on my puter. But what to get? I've been eyeballing a new GPU, and have pretty well locked me eyes on an MSI 390x, which are about 400 right now. I'm also eyeballing new RAM, a new CPU, and some SSDs. I've also considered a custom loop but I'm not even sure where to start.

So, what do you all think is the next logical thing for me to upgrade along with my GPU?

Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/synn21588/saved/#view=Q8pscf

looks like two options to upgrade.
1, the clock of the cpu if you are not at 4.8
2, the gpu.
a bigger, or another ssd would be nice.

What resolution are you gaming at?
What are you doing that you need more RAM capacity?
A bigger SSD would be great for you.

looks like 1980x1080, so I think even the card he has now is plenty.
he has 16 gigs of 1600, 8 gigs would be plenty and 1600 is all he will ever need.

I wouldn't upgrade anything in your build besides the GPU. Your 8320 will last another year and you can upgrade it at that point from what's latest and greatest.

If you catch the right sale and/or sell the games/SSD (there's a newegg deal on an MSI right now w an SSD), you can get a GTX 980 for pretty close to $400. I would much rather have one of those over a 390X.

Either one will be overkill for 1080P, however. Unless you're set on a $400 card, a 970 or 390 would be a better fit.

I wouldn't upgrade anything in your build besides the GPU. Your 8320 will last another year and you can upgrade it at that point from what's latest and greatest.

If you catch the right sale and/or sell the games/SSD (there's a newegg deal on an MSI right now w an SSD), you can get a GTX 980 for pretty close to $400. I would much rather have one of those over a 390X.

Either one will be overkill for 1080P, however. Unless you're set on a $400 card, a 970 or 390 would be a better fit.

I didn't think about new chips set to come out in 2016. I know the 390x is overkill but i may be looking at moving up to 1440p in the near future, plus id like to grab a gpu that will last a few years anyhow while i have the Money for it. So maybe them i should look into a custom loop?

- - - Updated - - -

looks like two options to upgrade.
1, the clock of the cpu if you are not at 4.8
2, the gpu.
a bigger, or another ssd would be nice.

My 8320e hits an overclocking wall at 4.6 and simply will not stabilize beyond that. I've been trying for two months and it just isn't going to happen

I didn't think about new chips set to come out in 2016. I know the 390x is overkill but i may be looking at moving up to 1440p in the near future, plus id like to grab a gpu that will last a few years anyhow while i have the Money for it. So maybe them i should look into a custom loop?

Personally, I'd only spend the money on what you need now.

I'd skip the custom loop. Seems like a poor investment. I mean, maybe it gets you to 5.0Ghz. That's what? 5 more FPS? With your current CPU, any upgrade in that area (either to the cooling in order to OC higher or switching to an Intel platform) just isn't going to yield much improvement.

If you really want to spend the money, I would grab a GTX 980 and upgrade your display to 1440P now :thup:

Back