• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me chose a nice stable mobo for overclocking i7 2600k and hints to improve

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nailo25

Hello, I recently upgraded my system with a new motherbpoard, graphic card, cpu cooler and an ssd drive and wanted to try some overclocking, but later I found out that the b75 chipset does not support overclocking....
I will repeat my build here
cpu: intel core i7 2600k
mobo: asrock b75 pro3
ram: 2x4gb silicon power ddr3 1333
ssd: ocz vertex 450 128gb
storage: seagate 2tb
vga: gigabyte gtx760 oc version
cooler: noctua nh-u14s
psu: cooler master gx 650W
I have no budget limits, and I would like to go over 5 ghz, but possibly I would like to stay under $200 for the Motherboard

plus do you have any suggestions to improve performance? better ram, ram cooler, psu or anything else, I'm open and listening for any good idea, thank you all

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF Nailo25!

The Maximus V Extreme is pretty smoking, so is the ASRock z77 oc formula.

Both boards he listed are for s1155...

Both boards are also likely overkill for your needs. Gone are the days (s775) that the motherboard was important for overclocking. Also, why 5 Ghz? That is a lofty goal for 24/7 overclocks. You need an above average chip to do that with sane voltages.

Something like the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for $154 is plenty.

As far as the other questions, I would get faster ram... DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v is what I would look for. Ram does not need cooling. PSU is MEH, but still fine.

Both boards funsoul listed are 1155 boards, the reality is you don't need a uber high end board for a 2600k. The real question is will your chip do 5.0, it's luck of the draw and what cooling do you have. I have an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 and it gets my 2500k to 5.3 without issue but I have really good cooling and only use it there for benching. Most 1155 chips require too much voltage to run safely at 5.0 unless you have really good cooling.

Sorry about that...not sure why I thought 775 but corrected to 1155 before the others joined in the fun.

Thanks for the confusion Funsoul :D

Nailo25, That is a great Air heatsink but it all depends on how good your chip is and what your ambient temps are. Again you chip may not be able to do 5.0 no matter what cooling and even if it can you may not be able to do it 24/7 unless its a really really good chip.

I live in southern Italy, temps are not too hot in the summer, the average is 24°C during all year (around 75F), I am not so picky, if I reach 4.8 I won't spit on it XD

Thanks for the confusion Funsoul :D

Nailo25, That is a great Air heatsink but it all depends on how good your chip is and what your ambient temps are. Again you chip may not be able to do 5.0 no matter what cooling and even if it can you may not be able to do it 24/7 unless its a really really good chip.
Yvw Mandrake...it's one of those few things I appear to be pretty good at! ;P

Agreed...with that cooling...think 4.6-ish would be a more reasonable target for 24/7 use.

the board I listed, and others similar to it in that price range are all you need. As I and manD said, it will come down to the quality of the CPU and the temperatures you get. 4.6-4.8Ghz should be in the cards though with that cooler. its SB and runs way cooler than IB/Haswell.

any suggestions for better ram? better psu? I would like to keep this build for another year or so at least and keep it as smooth as I can

Ram is ram really, you will not be overclocking it so what I said earlier 2x4GB DDR3 1866 CL9 1,5v would be my choice.

As far as PSUs, we have a PSU section (link in my signature as well) we have a sticky thread of 'approved' PSUs stick with that list or, quite frankly, you cannot go wrong with any of the Corsair line (some better than others of course, but... decent to great is their line).

Back