• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC based on i7-8700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netsonicyxf

CPU: i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
MB: ASUS Prime Z370-A
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2666 MT/s PC4-21300 BLS4K8G4D26BFSC
Video Card: Gigabytes GV-N970IXOC-4GD (existing compnent)
SSD: Samsung 256GB x 2, KIngstone 128GB x 2 (existing compnent)
HDD: 2TB + 500GB (existing compnent)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W (existing compnent)
Case: Antec P180 (existing compnent)

I hope to do medium level OCing

The RAM is not on ASUS memory QVL, but Crucial says it supports the MB.

Is this PC OK?

Looks fine to me. What is the chief use of this system? 32 gb of RAM is a lot unless you are doing stuff like high end photo and video editing or running a bunch of virtual machines. It won't help in gaming and other everyday tasks. And RAM prices are higher than I have ever seen them right now. How old is the PSU?

Main usage:
FEA analysis (Civil and Structural engineering): Abaqus, Ansys etc
3D modeling: Catia V6 etc
BIM (Building information modeling): Revit, Microstation, Lumion etc
Video processing: Corel Videostudio
Game (not hardcore)

PSU is about 6 years old.

You may also want to look into the ryzen 7 1800x for doing work like that. The extra two cores may outweigh and surpass the clock speed advantage that the 8700k has. Especially when doing things like FEA analysis which I know is cpu core intensive.

For the sake of $50 I would get a new power supply. Yours probably has a few years left but as you are building a new system you may as well keep everything upto date.

So it does look like you can benefit from all that RAM. I am concerned about the PSU's age, however. If it goes it can take other components with it. Ryzen 1800X is a good suggestion. Ryzen CPUs excel in the kinds of tasks you will be doing with a more comfortable price tag per core. And the Ryzen II is just around the corner.

Back