• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandensbeast

Ok, so I havent posted on here in a while but i've been lurking around, possibly rebuilding my pc in maybe a month or so, keeping some parts and getting new ones right now my question is 970 or r9 390? just about the same price currently. The 390 has 8 gigs but almost double the power usage for maybe 15% more performance roughly, I'll be keeping my cx600 power supply when I upgrade. Get a r9 390 or 970? (this log will be updated regularly with parts being bought etc)

if your monitor is 1080 or less the 970 is the better choice, with my 1440 monitor the 970 will struggle a little at times.
your a8-6600K is the bottle neck for you, and will be more of a bottle neck with the new card, I use one of those also, you need a good cooler and get it clocked to 4.5.

You guys are missing the point :/ like i've said before everything will be new besides psu case and hard drive (ssd will be boot drive) even though i'm running dual 1080p monitors I still feel the 390 would be a better choice, but that's what I want your guys opinions on. The card must be a bit louder aswell right?

Last I checked they were roughly the same performance, but the 970 uses half the power and has better driver support.

Back