• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find a good digital camera

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

OK, so I don't know much about digital cameras, though I have read the sticky. I don't plan on doing much editing a la photoshop, I just want to take really good pictures.

Needs:
- about $300, $350 is an absolute max.
- 5MP or so (and yes, I know all about MP vs algorithems and stuff)
- decent low light imaging. I don't need IR or anything, nothing spectacular here, just something that will produce acceptable images with low lighing.
- Decent fast moving imaging. Again, same as above: nothing spectacular, just something that won't blur a ton when someone is taking a picture of me breaking boards or doing 360 crecent kicks
-decent video capabilities. I have a digital video camera, so this doesn't need to replace that, but it shouldn't be grainy or too small
- overall good pictures. One thing I can't stand is washed out pictures or overly bright pictures.
- Good zoom. I'd like 5x or more, and will sacrafice a little size for that.
- On the topic of size, I don't want anything thats tiny; I have big hands and need something that doesn't feel like its going to snap if you grab it too hard. Then again, I need something that will comfortably fit in a cargo pocket. Call it medium-large sized.

Don't need/care about:
- Brand. Doesn't matter what brand, as long as its a good camera
- memory format. I have a card reader that reads just about everything. I'd prefer SD, but it is by no means a requirement
- Cable connectivity. Firewire, USB, doesn't matter.
- Effects. I don't need the borders, sepia, B&W, etc. If I wanted that (and I usually don't), I could do it on my comp or with photoshop at school.
- ease of use. I'm computer literate (obviously), if I can build a computer from scratch, I can operate a digital camera. I don't mind having to search through a bunch of menus in order to find one thing.

So, with that fairly extensive list, where should I start? Overall, I just need something that takes really good pictures.

Last edited:
I have a kodak Z740, a good digital camera with some decent manual/auto settings.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/

It just recently dropped in price at the egg to about 290 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830170030 .

-5mp
-No problems at all with the sports/manual settings and producing blurry pictures in my experience with it
-Video capabilities, the 640x480 is kinda lacking, and pretty slow fps, but the lower res setting does pretty well.
-10x optical zoom
-size, like you, I prefer them not to be tiny, its kinda boxish, fits in my cargo pockets, but you definately know its there.
-usb connector

It works for me, but I am a pretty amatuer photographer, anything I've learned has been self taught. It works for my uses, but I reccomend you go into a store and see if you can find one to try out(best buy carried them for awhile).

My advice, do a lot of research, there are so many capable cameras out there.

The Z740 is a nice camera, we sell it at work. 5MP and 10x zoom as mentioned. It has loads of scene modes like potrait, night mode, parties, sports, etc etc. Also you can adjust aperture and shutter speed manually.

Takes SD Memory.

If your going to be using it to take pictures of computer bits, for mods or selling stuff, I highly recommending ensuring that you have a macro mode for extreme closeups.

^^ not a bad idea.

Thanks for the Z740 reccomendation, I'll look into it. David: it sounds like you work in a camera or electronics store and have a little experience with different models. Any other reccomendations other than the Z740?

LoneWolf121188 said:
^^ not a bad idea.

Thanks for the Z740 reccomendation, I'll look into it. David: it sounds like you work in a camera or electronics store and have a little experience with different models. Any other reccomendations other than the Z740?

I work for Currys in the UK, and of the ones we have only four have >3x zoom, these being the Canon EOS350D 8 megapixel digital SLR (650 pounds), the Fuji S3500 and 5500 both only 4 megapixel and 6x and 10x zoom respectively.

if you want one on the cheap, Fuji S3100 isn't too bad, i got one for my sis. i think it's only 4mp but one good thing about it is you can buy extra lenses for it. the macro zoom lense would run about $15 from amazon.
i think higher models of it have the same functionality as well, not sure though.

The Kodak Z740 looks interesting with it's 10X zoom, but I would recommend going with Canon or Olympus as they seem to have the best quality digital cameras. The Canon PowerShot SD400 has 5 MP, but only 3X optical zoom, (on sale at newegg.com for under $300). For the price, it's hard to beat the OLYMPUS C-5500 which has the features you wanted (5 MP and 5X optical zoom) for $240.

since your looking in the cheap range, im suggesting what I have, Minolta z2. Its in your price range, and its a AWSOME camera for the price. takes as good picures as my dads digital, 8mp canon rebel digital. Its a SLR camera, so there no delay when you push the button. very nice camera

heres a link to steves digicam review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z2.html

and a link to them on froogle
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=minolta+dimage+z2&btnG=Search+Froogle

here is some pics that i took with it

Platters.jpg
mom.jpg
9800prostockheatsinkbase.jpg

Last edited:
Canon S2 IS.

for anything with a longer zoom, you either need image stabilization (which the kodak z740 nor the Minolta Z2 do not have, iirc), or a tripod. A tripod is almost a must for a good night shot though.

the swivelling LCD is also very nice.

I have the S1 IS and absolutely no regrets. In time, you will learn to love the long zoom very much and find a 3x zoom to be almost pitiful.

You should be able to find some good deals on the S1 IS cameras now, as they are being phased out.

My vote goes for the Kodak Z740. I went from an Olympus C-4000 to the Z740 and havn't looked back yet. I fell in love with the camera at a weddingI was at. Needless to say a few were taking photos at the same time the one hired to do it was. Well with the flash going off it was ticking him off, I had my camera set to manenrs so no flash and no loud clicking sounds. That and you take the 10x opticla zoom and add 5x digital zoom and your set. Action shots are not a prob with this cam. When I got mine from Dell I had the choice to get the camera with and without a 256meg stick for the same price.

Pics added pic of a bird taken 125 feet away

pic of brindle boxer
both taking with a Kodak Z740

Last edited:
9mmCensor said:
If your going to be using it to take pictures of computer bits, for mods or selling stuff, I highly recommending ensuring that you have a macro mode for extreme closeups.

Great tip. One can also use a magnifying glass in front of the lens for super extreme closeups. :cool:

The Canon PowerShot series are very popular. My A70 takes great low light images. And closeups are a snap too.

as far as your question of "slr type"- the minolta z2 is NOT an slr. slr stands for single lens reflex, literally meaning that the image that comes through the lens is reflected up into the viewfinder, so you see exactly what you are going take a picture of. another thing an slr needds is interchangable lenses so that you can selct the right lens for whatever you are doing.

The z2 has neither of these. The viewfinder is actually just an lcd that shows the same thing that the big lcd shows. also, it only has one lens that you can use, save for the accesory lenses that you can attach in adition to the main lens.

Do not take this as critisism of the camera, though, as it is a good camera and I would recomemnd it, jsut don't call it an slr. Save that term for cameras like the digital rebel and d50. These cameras are also faster, as sugested- but much more fast than the z2. The z2 is pretty fast for a point and shoot, which is what it is, but it is no match for an slr.

I would definately NOT recomend the kodak. Their cameras generally have much higher megapixel ratings than their actual picture quality would suggest. Stick with canon, konica-minolta, nikon, olympus, or panasonic, imo.

As far as the ease of use that you mentioned- you may say that now, but no matter how computer litterate you are, it is very annoying and time consuming sometimes to have to sit there going through menus. Just because you can do it doesn't mean that it will be a pleasent experience. A good interface will give you both a high level of control as well as ease of navigation, and no matter how geeky and computer litterate you are, that is a good thing.

Itmay be out of your price range, but one camera I would recomend is the s2 is, as mentioned. It has the awesome ability to shoot 30fps video to the capacity of the card and take full resolution 5mp stills AT THE SAME TIME!

I'd recommend the z2 as well. My z1 has been all over the world, and I've taken tens of thousands of images with it, even using it for professional brochure photography, even though it's not a "professional" camera.

You can see some image examples from this camera here. Mind that these images were taken with a camera which has been bouncing around in a fanny pack for well over 3 years and has been around the world at least 3 times.

NB: Even though the z2 is not "technically" an SLR, what you see in the viewfinder is a direct link to the CCD, so it is a "through-the-lens" camera. This means that it is adequate for use in macro photography and you'll not have the paralax error which plagues viewfinder models.

thanks for all of your suggestions guys. I'll make a quick list, do a little research on the net, then run down to circuit city or something to get a feel for the cameras.

Since you did mention "decent low light imaging", I'd highly recommend a camera with an AF assist lamp.

I'd lean towards the Canon 610. 5MP, 4x optical zoom, Canon's AiAF TTL 9-point auto focus & Digic2 image processor, 2" LCD, SD/MMC card, 1cm macro focus range...

http://www.dpreview.com/ has great reviews.

Don't forget to look at the dates of the reviews. A two year old camera may have had a "highly recommended" award when it came out, but digicam technology improves just as fast as computer stuff and that two year old camera won't be able to compete with a new one.

To everyone else: You guys (and girls if applicable) should post the original images for comparison - or else all we're doing is seeing who had their JPG quality cranked up the highest. And it's really hard to compare any kind of detail on the shrunk images.

But nice pictures everyone :) If my dad has his FTP server up I'll post some taken with his A75 later (Canon generations go: A60/70/80/90, A75/85/95, A510/520, A610/620 - so my Dad's A75 is two generations older then the A610).

Back