• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me make the most out of my money... Faster or Fastest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Rig 1:

$919 - Arrives March 12th-16th
Intel Core i7-6700
16GB DDR4 SDRAM
1TB SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Rig 2:

$1225 - Arrives Mid April
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
16GB Ram
1 TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GTX 8GB

The computer will mainly be used for for editing 3d objects, CAD, and 3d processing. Certain programs need more speed, others will need more cores. It may see some Starcraft II action from time to time.

They're both well under my $1500 budget, but piecing together a rig is ridiculous at the moment due to mining. I'm currently leaning towards Rig 1 as it's the most bang for the buck in a timely manner.

Thoughts?

Ryzen17/1800 simply because intel needs the competition. I would only buy intel if it was an oem device and or specifically required.

I would wait for the new ryzen processors which are out April I believe. Or at least wait for benchmarks. They could offer I nice boost to performance over the current line up.

In theory the R7-1700 will outperform the i7-6700 but C.A.D. programs tend to be optimized for Intel so without getting you hands on both in a side by side it's very difficult to say which will work better. I would still tend to lean towards the Ryzen to out perform for the majority of programs.

The Ryzen/1080 combo should be faster by 10-25%, maybe even more if it involves GPU processing due to the extra lanes provided by Ryzen.

I see the point in waiting for Ryzen 2nd gen, but that will push me back until early May for a new PC?

Do you guys think the first rig is worth the $919? I *could* wait, but just tired of this 9 year old laptop that's on its way out. I'm currently running a I7 q720 1.6ghz, 8gb ram, with an ATI Mobility HD5870. It's seen better days.

Waiting for the next gen ryzen would also allow time for GPU prices to drop back down to sane levels too. It might even cost you the same for the newer gen gear.

I suppose that makes a lot of sense. When I was searching for a build I had not realized that GPU prices were insane, and that Ryzen 2 was coming out.

I've been using this current PC for 9 years, what's a couple more months?

Unfortunately now I'll have a 4k monitor, and new mouse/keyboard to stare at for the next two months.

LMAO, always happens that way. FTR it could be much worse. We see people buy motherboards then wait 6 months to buy the CPU only to find out that the new product 'X' just released and they're stuck with last gen gear before they complete their build.

I'll be using this time to search for deals on onboard SSDs and a GTX 1080 TI. When I last built a computer, WDRaptors in Raid 0 were it. How things have changed.

I find almost everything I buy I wish I had waited just one more year. My tablet for instance. If I had waited less than a year, it would have been branded xplore running an I5 quad at 3.6ghz. Instead I have an I7 dual core at max 2.9. Your pc works good at smartphone speeds. Couple more months is nothing.

tell me about it....
I have 2 TR 1950X builds going, by the time I finish them I'll have to sell the cpu's off at a loss and pay for the newer, through the nose........again.........

Technology as a hobby sucks. Every 6-12 months a new piece of hardware comes out and it's all "old".

I'm quite impressed that my G73JH laptop has survived for this long.

Upgrades so far for the G20:
- Samsung 960 EVO 250GB m.2 NVME SSD (max that its board will support)
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

So I'm in it $1250 for the tower. Not the fastest rig, but I think it will be plenty enough.

I do have a line on a NIB MSI 1080 8GB for 700, but unfortunately it does not have a reference cooler and will not work with my case. The current plan with the GPU is to wait for prices to return to normal, then purchase a reference 1080 TI.

I have a feeling that by then, the studio will just provide me with a high end workstation, and I'll be able to retire the laptop completely.

Just an update, the I7 6700 with 1070 GTX along with the m.2 SSD has exceeded all my expectations! I have plenty have power to run SC2 at 4k and it is handling my 3d renderings and slicing perfectly.

It is insane how fast Windows 10 will boot up with this new m.2 tech.

I am quite happy that I chose to not delay longer for a new computer.

I have almost the exact same rig. It screams, but I don't put it to work like you do. For gaming (1080p) I expect to limp along along for another few months on my "old" tech. Like, 36 to 48 more months. LOL

Back