• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Help me mount a laptop screen on a desktop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, loved your job on this so far...I might do something similar one day.
Can't wait for updates :p

Thanks! Things will be here soon, sorry for the delays. I am having the inverter and circuit boards for the screen custom done, and it will be done and shipped in about two weeks.

Updates soon to follow!

Here's a mid-stage report, and pics..finally! I know you all love pictures!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77465518@N08/with/6936446745/

It's easier to link this than paste all the URL's. I'll admit I am lazy lol. Just click the link and view the gallery. If you want a closer look just browse by picture.

I have had a few small speed bumps with time and hardware issues, but I have XP Pro up and running. I really need driver updates and don't know where to begin..my CPU fan is set still on the default 5K rpm's LOL vacuum cleaner time :shock:

Other than fixing a few small things on that side, and adding my personal touches, she will be nearly ready. The project is 95% painted and ready, with just the front case cover to be cut, possibly plexied up, and painted. It's already primed :attn: The piece will be cut about an inch all around, so the rivets for the panel to slide on are at least covered and pretty.

Not bad for a rattle can, huh? :clap:

I cut my rubber floor mat, and also got my four fans for intake in the front wired for manual on/off, and a speed control switch hidden further in and out of sight. Power is by Molex. Those little guys are quiet and really pump the air! Great for switching to 'game mode' or whatever. Besides the CPU fan that is being an ***, it's smooth and quiet :D

The power supply is now all customized to my liking and painted up, along with the video card that was really good a few years ago. I still don't have any idea what brand it is, or the specs, but I do know it is able to run decent games like C&C 3 on high and ultra. More on that later on...I got it free lol

The rear where the LCD will be mounted is ready for a go. I am waiting on my LCD controller and whatnot. It will convert the VGA input to the screen on the back, and provide power to it. This board will be mounted in the rear next to the motherboard. You at least can get a decent idea of where it all goes together in my photos.

I'll list out parts in a post below this either after this or later on. Thanks for any help you can offer to me, and a boat load of thanks for everything this far. If you have any questions for me, ask away.

Last edited:
AWESOME! Really like the paintjob.

Thanks! Just Krylon fusion electric yellow and satin black for 4.99 a can!

Easy to use if you are good at taking time and painting evenly. I guess I have had a lot of practice. With spray, you either do a great job, or ruin the whole piece you are painting :rofl:

There's two small imperfections, but I am not saying where they are! lol

'02 Compaq Evo II

Basic specs:

Case: Stock, With custom paint and cutting by me
Mobo: Biostar G31-M4 Red, Micro ATX
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, N/A on version
HeatSink: Compaq 478 version 3?
RAM: Crucial 128x64 mid range, 2 GB DDR1
HDD 1: Corsair 70 GB, High RPM boot drive
HDD 2: Corsair 70 GB
PSU: Diablotek ATX 350W
GPU: A big one, N/A

Price spent: $98.07, free stuff FTW

Raw awesomeness :D

Watch out with that crappy psu, Diablotek is crap...other than that it's a great job and cheap *** but totally cool rig!
You can play WoW or Ragnarok Online like a champ!
Perhaps Quake 3 arena and Unreal too :p

I know, it was under 10 dollars. Diablotek is garbage, but it beat a broken one :D

It even had a 5 year full warranty until I painted it up! I guess they insure their cheap junk, and don't want any issues.

lol xD
You can get a Corsair cx430 for 18usd at Newegg nowadays...You might wanna check it out regularly. You can then reutilize it for a newer Ivy Bridge version of your awesome rig :p

That's a good idea. lol I don't even have a real use for this thing yet, just more of a cheap fun project to mess with. I couldn't see throwing good parts or letting them sit. Now I have a "fun" computer..

That's a good idea. lol I don't even have a real use for this thing yet, just more of a cheap fun project to mess with. I couldn't see throwing good parts or letting them sit. Now I have a "fun" computer..

Totally with you on the fun part! :p
I wanted to build a pseudo tablet with a touchscreen...something similar to this with a mini itx or a custom enclosure.
Still couldn't get to do it, but you gave me some motivation now :attn:

You can water cool it and bench with it! :thup::screwy:

Totally with you on the fun part! :p
I wanted to build a pseudo tablet with a touchscreen...something similar to this with a mini itx or a custom enclosure.
Still couldn't get to do it, but you gave me some motivation now :attn:

You can water cool it and bench with it! :thup::screwy:

Even if you don't..just brainstorm some cool ideas up. I guess I wanted to do this so badly because I have never seen it done before..or heard of it, and have the abilities and parts to make it happen.

Best of luck :thup:

You're the man...I'll try to follow your steps on this thing. Perhaps I can do something similar with my I7 rig.

I will put more advanced details in when it is up and running, and when I get some spare time for real pictures.

The hardest part is getting your hands on a good screen :bang head

For me, it just happened to be a good resolution and a great screen, and one that was fairly common among new laptops. I was also lucky in having the perfect mounting space and screen size.

With enough determination, it's 100% do-able..and awesome :attn:

I approve of the rattle can paint scheme, reminds me of this guy:
bee31.jpg

http://blackforestindustries.com/blog/2011/01/08/killr-bfi-2-0-turbo/
As far as the driver board for the screen, where are you getting it? I've been looking at this ebay seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/njytouch/m.html
they offer an interesting product, hopefully it will take care of my needs.

You're not going to use those hinges in this build, are you? If not I might be able to put them to use in my project. :D

Any updates to your build recently?

I have an LCD from a laptop I want to use for something similar, and have bought a LVDS adapter from njytouch on ebay. I was wondering how you were going to power yours. In an ideal world, I'd like to power my monitor via my motherboard or PSU to minimise power cables coming out of the unit, and to have it switch on as the computer boots. All I know is that the LVDS board needs 12v to power the screen. Kinda stuck.

Any updates to your build recently?

I have an LCD from a laptop I want to use for something similar, and have bought a LVDS adapter from njytouch on ebay. I was wondering how you were going to power yours. In an ideal world, I'd like to power my monitor via my motherboard or PSU to minimise power cables coming out of the unit, and to have it switch on as the computer boots. All I know is that the LVDS board needs 12v to power the screen. Kinda stuck.

Your PSU has a +12V rail. Use it :3

You can always desolder it and solder wires to a Molex. The yellow cable is 12V (or "positive). Black one is ground (or "negative"). Just make sure you got the polarity right, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Back