• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me out with the system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bored-sarcasm

well here it is, i'll edit out all the details. it looks compatable to me, but is it? any improvements i could make? suggestions and comments obviously welclme.

ABIT nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S"

AOpen nVIDIA GeForce FX5600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5600XT-DV256"

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3700 with Platinum Heat Spreader

Thermalright SLK-947U Copper Heatsink for both Intel and Amd

that's the bones of the system. i've got an 120mm adjustable enermax fan on that 947. i looked at the sp-94 but i figured since i wont be oc'ing that much, it wasnt necessary. help me out with this.

If you aren't OCing then mabey you can eliminate the HS/F all together and use stock, or are you buying an OEM processor? Memory looks good, dual channel is definently the way to go. I would reccomend the Radeon 9600XT if you are useing windows, but nVidia if you aren't (ATi's cards hate Linux, and the drivers are buggy). Can't say much about the mobo, I'm an Intel fan, but I hear good things about that processor for budget systems. Good luck.

deepblue

yea i origionally had an ic7 with a 2.8c but changed because i want to see how amd's perform. and i figured since the 2.4's have lost their punch lately, it's an ever better reason to jump ship for a test run.

i'll be oc'ing, just not that agressivley, thats why i've got the pc3700 ram.

as for the vid card, i'll check into it. never considered a 9600xt.

thanks.

hey thanks guys, the total cost before shipping is around 750. thats mobo, memory, cooling, vid card, as5, hs, hsf, cables.

i've only heard good things about the mobiles. i think i'll drop down to a 2600. but i want to be able to get at least 2.5ghz out of this machine.

Ide drop to a MOBILE 2500, as they 'get' better over clocks... and thats 10 bucks towards something else.

I would also go with ATI.

Q: Why get a 2500+ and overclock it when you can get that processor and get the same speed without overclocking?

A: Because not everyone wants to spend as much money as they can. Plus, overclocking gets addicting, so if he wants to try it, why not try it out right.

ditch the 5600. HORRIBLE card. they were replaced with the 5700, which perform on par with the 9600 xts. well, unless u dont game at all, then u can keep the 5600

hah, who doesn't game?

so should i go 9600xt, or should i hit up the 5700? i origionally had an evga 5700 ultra. but decided to swap it out for some stupid reason... :rolleyes:

this is what i had to begin with, before i started changing.

ABIT i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IC7"

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA Video Card, 128MB DDRII, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "e-GeForce FX 5700(128-A8-N336-AX)"

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3700 with Platinum Heat Spreader

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5.

Thermalright CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 478 (Heat Sink Only), 99 x 59 x 45 mm, Model "SP-94"

Enermax Adjustable Speed 120mm Cooling fan, Model "UC-12FAB-B"

CoolerMaster "Neon LED"Tranparent 4LEDs Case fan, Model "TLF-R82-EW"

Back