• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick a rackmount case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StreetPharmacy

Hello all,
My newest endeavor has been to create a sort of "recording studio in a box." I plan on having a Presonus Firepod (8 channel digital mixer) and a PC housed in a portable musician's rack case (the things you see covered in dials and in/outputs behind a sound engineer).

However, finding a rackmount PC case that fits my needs is harder than it seems. It needs to have the following dimensions

19" wide (It's rackmount, duh.)
2U or 3U - I want to be able to use it for damn near everything, not just sound processing.
17" deep - this is the kicker. Most hard cases for sound equipment are no longer than 17", and most are shorter. The shorter the case, the better.

Budget: Below $200, I'm up to modding if fitting more fans or something is necessary.

I'm not sure what kind of heatsink will fit in a 2U, so suggestions on what to go in the system are welcome. Also, the more fans the better, as it may very well likely be nestled between a set of rack drawers and a nice warm digital mixer - cool is essential.

Also, if anyone has any reccomendations for hard cases (the part that holds the rackmount case and the mixer and everything else and is damn-near bullet proof), it needs to be at LEAST a three space, and that means no drawer for mics and cable and other fun things - I'd have to use a seperate case. A four or five space would work better, but my budget is around $150 for a hard rack case. Finally, ease of portability (handles, wheels, maybe the shell is built into a foam-padded bag with a strap) is always nice to have on something that is being designed to be well, portable.

Any other suggestions would also be lovely.

Thanks.

Back