• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me select RAM please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skidawgz

Registered
Hi,

I've taken the time to read some before just hopping in and posting this. I want to purchase most likely 16GB of RAM for an i5-3570k setup + Gigabyte Z77 board. The setup is mostly a gaming machine for now, and I am aware games use barely over 4GB. I am also an engineering student and will be running a good amount of different simulation programs/compilers for coding. I couldn't afford an i7.

I plan to overclock to pretty safe levels, prbly aim for 4.6GHz or less. I just need help knowing what exactly I need to know to properly select the fastest RAM. Timings, voltage, CL to aim for and why. Does the advice change for 8GB?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ram is ram for 99% of users really. I would just get a DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v kit and call it a day. Just make sure there is clearance for your cooler is about the only concern. Getting faster ram than that, in most cases, will not make a difference.

Though with how you use it, you may want to test the effects on ram speed and your compiles/sims as that is one rare case that it may make a difference. Test it out and see before you pay a premium for ram speeds that will not benefit your uses.

Ram is ram for 99% of users really. I would just get a DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v kit and call it a day. Just make sure there is clearance for your cooler is about the only concern. Getting faster ram than that, in most cases, will not make a difference.

Though with how you use it, you may want to test the effects on ram speed and your compiles/sims as that is one rare case that it may make a difference. Test it out and see before you pay a premium for ram speeds that will not benefit your uses.

haha, I was hoping the answer wasn't so simple.
So is tightening the timings and all that just a big pissing contest?

In most cases, yes. But again, there are some rare cases, where it matters. As I said above try it with your current PC and overclock the ram.

If you're not getting it in a combo deal, then definitely get the Samsung stuff. Keep in mind though, some motherboards on Newegg come with a free set of RAM, and you can usually get a few bucks off in a combo with a GPU, CPU, or motherboard.

If you're not getting it in a combo deal, then definitely get the Samsung stuff. Keep in mind though, some motherboards on Newegg come with a free set of RAM, and you can usually get a few bucks off in a combo with a GPU, CPU, or motherboard.

I remember you telling me that, I ended up not getting a combo deal for a handful of reason, nothing huge. I got a i5 + z77x-ud3h for 280.

Thanks to the above poster for the Samsung link. I remember when that stuff was announced. I definitely think that is what I will be going with. Anything low power normally attracts my attention.

The power consumption of RAM is basically nothing, lol. But the chips in those sticks are the same used in much higher quality sticks...people have pretty consistently gotten them to DDR3-1866 CL9 and even faster (One of the review samples hit like 2200Mhz or something).

you're right. I guess I'm commenting on overall heat and such of the entire system. I tried to order quiet / cool parts.

Thanks for the help. ordered 2 packs of the Samsung!

2600mhz is not rare with Ivy or Fx chips and those Samsung sticks...Depends on the board, Gigabyte boards don't clock those well, so if you intend to overclock them more than 2133mhz there are better choices. (not really a dealbreaker, they're cheap and can easily net you 2133mhz cl10 @ 1.65v)

2600mhz is not rare with Ivy or Fx chips and those Samsung sticks...Depends on the board, Gigabyte boards don't clock those well, so if you intend to overclock them more than 2133mhz there are better choices. (not really a dealbreaker, they're cheap and can easily net you 2133mhz cl10 @ 1.65v)

I see you are running a gigabyte board, I ordered the ud3h. it seems to have memory speed options of 1600 then 2400 OC. Will I have options to clock memory in between with a BIOS revision or such?

The last time I overclocked was a C2D, where it seemed to be best to shoot for a 1:1 CPU:RAM. Basically, I'm implying my overclocking knowledge is slightly outdated. Will I be able to do more?

You can do 1066,1333, 1600, 1866, 2000, 2133, 2200, 2400, 2600, 2666, 2866 and 2933 I think. (Not sure on the ud3h)
You won't be able to use more than 2200mhz with the samsung greens, unless you get the generics with tall pcb and hch9 ic's (you can find those in ebay from time to time and they clock higher than greens with 1.35v) those are 1.5v sticks with green pcb. But the difference won't be too great, though they cost the same.

I see you are running a gigabyte board, I ordered the ud3h. it seems to have memory speed options of 1600 then 2400 OC. Will I have options to clock memory in between with a BIOS revision or such?

The last time I overclocked was a C2D, where it seemed to be best to shoot for a 1:1 CPU:RAM. Basically, I'm implying my overclocking knowledge is slightly outdated. Will I be able to do more?

You don't have to OC your RAM to OC your CPU anymore. The FSB is locked. You OC with multipliers only.

OCing you RAM is more for the fun of it, the performance gain is basically nothing.

2600mhz is not rare with Ivy or Fx chips and those Samsung sticks

Actually it is, since they are unbinned the HYK0 can be pretty bad in those samsung sticks. I've had 5 sets of them and they all have been nothing to write home about. Just because a couple guys bin through 20 sets and get a couple that can do 2600mhz doesn't mean they are good.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I ordered 16GB and will run at 1600 and be happy with it.

Mine arrived today.

At 1870mhz 8-9-9-24 atm. 8-8-8-24 threw some errors.

It boots into memtest at 2133mhz but not into windows yet. Will have to keep messing with them :cheers:

Back