• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me, what is this confangled device?!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patriot71

I just got my dfi sli-dr today and it had a whole lot of crap in the box. that part was awesome. however, I got this thing and I dont know what it is. I suspect it might be a molex pin remover but I dont see how in the hell it could be, I tried taking off some pins on a spare psu and had no luck. I didnt see any mention of it in the user manual either. wtf..

wtf0hj.jpg

It kind of looks like a bios chip puller. You would use it to remove the bios chip. Although I have heard that they can do more harm than good:eek:

Kendan said:
It kind of looks like a bios chip puller. You would use it to remove the bios chip. Although I have heard that they can do more harm than good:eek:

interesting.......*strokes beard*

You use it to pull out PLCC ICs. Most newer boards use these for their BIOSes, although slightly older boards use DIP style ICs. I have one of these, and they're quite useful if you screw up a bios flash and need to do a hot flash (DIPs you could use your fingers or a screwdriver, but PLCCs are harder).

I believe that the more harm than good idea comes from DIP style chips. I've bent more pins with a DIP puller than I have using a screwdriver. I don't think that holds true for PLCCs, though.

Its like any other tool. If you use it properly, it does the job, and does it well. If you dont, you risk breaking stuff. I Use them every day at work.

Back