• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ck7x24

Registered
I want to make a system and have some questions
I dont do any gaming but need to manage 40,000 pictures in lightroom with light editing.
My hardware choices
Processor - AMD fx8350
Graphics - GeForce gt3200
SSD - samsung evo 250 ssd
RAM - Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9 8GB x 1
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB
Motherboard - asus m5a97

Need suggestions on case and cooling, and any comments on system

I also already have 4gb or ram from my old computer that is also DDR3 1600, Do I really need 12gb or Ram, how much will it effect performance.
Also, If i went for a FX6300 or FX 6350 will i actually see any real performance difference?

Can we get a budget and an exact list of what parts you're trying to reuse?

I dont have a target budget but looking to keep the price as low as possible, but without sacrificing real world performance. and I dont game so fps are not important. Just want a zippy system that will allow me to have utorrent always on, 10+ tabs in firefox, lightroom open, have a virus scanner and anti spyware alwasy running, and to watch hd movies or be using lightroom.
I could reuse my power supply, but its only 400w and 4 years old so might not be enough juice.
I have a dvd writer, mouse, keyboard, and the 4 gb ram, I also have a 1TB hard drive that I will be keeping as well.
My case is pretty crappy and wouldnt mind a new one if it not too much money, but dont want a 'flashy' case, just good airflow.
I also do not plan to overclock

I would get this
Just add one EXACT SAME stick of RAM.

The timings, speed, and voltage must match on the RAM to make sure it is compatible with your existing stick.

If you want a 3TB storage I'd go WD Red.

If you can't find a matching stick of ram I'd spring for 2x8GB for your needs.

Where are you located?

Do you have the model of your existing PSU?

Honestly, sounds like you want an i3 to me. Certainly don't need 8 cores for intense Web browsing lol

that m5a97 will struggle with an 8 core, we have seen the m5a97 LE fail with 8 cores and one in the forums now is smelling like a failed m5a97 LE.

Oh dang those dropped in price haha. Seems amd boards have dropped across the board. I remember in December, sabretooth were selling for around 2-220 mark.

Back