• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HELP* need help overclocking my processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just my 2 cents, my gtx 760 oc cards are great for me at 1080p, big bang for the buck even in the reveiws. I bought them open box at microcenter so a bit cheaper.
the m5a99fx board will suite you well for gameing with good cooling.
The 8320 is an 8 core processor and most games can only use 4 and 6 at best right now so disableing two cores is a good idea, 6 is the most i use gamming with my 8350.

These all seem like really good ideas, I will check out prices when I get home from work I'm reading these from my phone.

Johan's Gigabyte board is indeed better than the ASUS M5A99FX but if that deal is still on for the ASUS board, I say buy it now. Both will get your CPU to 4.4/4.5

This board is also a very good alternative for an 8 core FX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514 it has an 8 phase power system and can handle the load better than an M5A99. It's only $20 more than the board you linked on sale.

GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 1.0 > rev. 1.1 > rev. 1.2 > rev. 3.0 > rev. 4.0

They did the same things to that board in REVs that they did to the 970 UD3 in that Rev 3.0 was a real POS to work with. Hope that board at the EGG is a Rev 4.0 or it will be a real pain.

I would expect that boards at the EGG would be the later Rev as they should have a good turnover due big sales numbers. But I would certainly look at the Rev first thing when it came to me and setup a return immediately if it is not a Rev 4.0. No sense in even plugging in a Rev 3.0 board.
RGone...

GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 1.0 > rev. 1.1 > rev. 1.2 > rev. 3.0 > rev. 4.0

They did the same things to that board in REVs that they did to the 970 UD3 in that Rev 3.0 was a real POS to work with. Hope that board at the EGG is a Rev 4.0 or it will be a real pain.

I would expect that boards at the EGG would be the later Rev as they should have a good turnover due big sales numbers. But I would certainly look at the Rev first thing when it came to me and setup a return immediately if it is not a Rev 4.0. No sense in even plugging in a Rev 3.0 board.
RGone...

All the more reason to get the M5A99FX.

I have watched these forums since just before the FX processors came out in Oct of 2011. Have helped overclock FX bulldozer before I even got one in Aug 2012. So I know one does not have to have a particular mobo to help out. But here is the thing I have seen overall.

1.) 14 MSI AMD type mobos have come thru the AMD CPU/Mobo forum sections. I kept a pretty close count of this. Well as close as needed to. Since every user was "price-alone" buying, they had nothing but hale with the one's we saw. A couple of them went for a meager overclock and did use the boards. Most of the others moved to suggested mobos.

2.) Gigabyte practically told their AM3+ users to go take a leap by their bioses and Revs of their most popular AM3+ mobos. Here again we seldom saw a UD5 or UD7 top of the line Gigabyte mobo. Some more of that "price-alone" buying.

3.) Then most of those that stay and help everyday since the fall of 2011 went thru the lesser AM3+ Asus mobos and came to rest on Asus's top tier AM3+ mobos. They have been there and done that and most even bought the T-shirts for having participated in cheaper buying.

The guys doing the majority of the helping are completely familiar with Asus and even Asrock's top tier since we all are there. Been there a very long while. Done considerable benching over 5.2Ghz with g00d water cooling. Even had one user get his cpu validation at 6.0Ghz with cold water. So the regular helpers have done the deal with Asus and 'know' them pretty much forward and then backupwards. In that respect there is no reason to RE-invent the wheel with a board only a little bit cheaper. And surely not if one has visions of going over 4.4Ghz for real on a system used at elevated speeds for 24/7 use.

AMD designed the FX to clock up 1/2 the cores. Not ALL like we do when overclocking. That takes a mobo to turn all cores on and run all day at much beyond 4.4Ghz with good water cooling.

Sure there are exceptions. Sure there are those that have never run P95 Blend on their systems for 2 hours and they think they are stable. Strokes for folks.

In a forum setting, we try to give the most likely to succeed suggestions. Suggestions we can help with when the user begins to overclock. AnyThing else will be a guess. I cringe when MSI or Gigabyte users come in and want to overclock. You never know what the user has gotten this time for a mobo revision and bios menus.

Staying within the wheel of known parameters is often the best thing to do regardless of a few dollars more. After all most of the users we see don't upgrade parts and pieces like many of us overclocking hooked peeps, so they might as well spend some more and get the known goodies or be prepared to 'blaze' their own trails with unknown stuffz. But that is not the situation or they would not be in the forum asking how to overclock.
RGone...ster.

I have watched these forums since just before the FX processors came out in Oct of 2011. Have helped overclock FX bulldozer before I even got one in Aug 2012. So I know one does not have to have a particular mobo to help out. But here is the thing I have seen overall.

1.) 14 MSI AMD type mobos have come thru the AMD CPU/Mobo forum sections. I kept a pretty close count of this. Well as close as needed to. Since every user was "price-alone" buying, they had nothing but hale with the one's we saw. A couple of them went for a meager overclock and did use the boards. Most of the others moved to suggested mobos.

2.) Gigabyte practically told their AM3+ users to go take a leap by their bioses and Revs of their most popular AM3+ mobos. Here again we seldom saw a UD5 or UD7 top of the line Gigabyte mobo. Some more of that "price-alone" buying.

3.) Then most of those that stay and help everyday since the fall of 2011 went thru the lesser AM3+ Asus mobos and came to rest on Asus's top tier AM3+ mobos. They have been there and done that and most even bought the T-shirts for having participated in cheaper buying.

The guys doing the majority of the helping are completely familiar with Asus and even Asrock's top tier since we all are there. Been there a very long while. Done considerable benching over 5.2Ghz with g00d water cooling. Even had one user get his cpu validation at 6.0Ghz with cold water. So the regular helpers have done the deal with Asus and 'know' them pretty much forward and then backupwards. In that respect there is no reason to RE-invent the wheel with a board only a little bit cheaper. And surely not if one has visions of going over 4.4Ghz for real on a system used at elevated speeds for 24/7 use.

AMD designed the FX to clock up 1/2 the cores. Not ALL like we do when overclocking. That takes a mobo to turn all cores on and run all day at much beyond 4.4Ghz with good water cooling.

Sure there are exceptions. Sure there are those that have never run P95 Blend on their systems for 2 hours and they think they are stable. Strokes for folks.

In a forum setting, we try to give the most likely to succeed suggestions. Suggestions we can help with when the user begins to overclock. AnyThing else will be a guess. I cringe when MSI or Gigabyte users come in and want to overclock. You never know what the user has gotten this time for a mobo revision and bios menus.

Staying within the wheel of known parameters is often the best thing to do regardless of a few dollars more. After all most of the users we see don't upgrade parts and pieces like many of us overclocking hooked peeps, so they might as well spend some more and get the known goodies or be prepared to 'blaze' their own trails with unknown stuffz. But that is not the situation or they would not be in the forum asking how to overclock.
RGone...ster.

So what are you suggesting? Obviously a Sabretooth or other top tier board would be the best choice but do you think the ASUS board I recommended is a good bet?

I would assume as RGone said that it would be a Rev4. We've had 1 member who OC's FX try the new rev4 board and it seemed very capable. So we have a tleast one with experience.. I just thought that the Giga board may be a bit more "future" proof if the OP decides they need more speed.

So what are you suggesting? Obviously a Sabretooth or other top tier board would be the best choice but do you think the ASUS board I recommended is a good bet?

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ > $149.00 at NewEgg.

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ > $169.00 at NewEgg.

Now for that $20.00 since I buy almost exclusively at the EGG...it would be the Sabertooth hands down and no backup in me. That $20.00 gets one a board in the top three we have seen. Anything less is just that...less and I would be one pee'd off camper if I had not bought a CHV first of all. Since with the CHV; it is only c00ling that holds me back and not a 990FX Pro or 990X EVO that is holding me back.

That really is exactly as I see it after helping 100's of users overclock an FX processor. If one were never going to plug an FX processor in the cpu socket and get good water for one of these later FX-8350s that seem to clock pretty well, then of course go with a lesser mobo. We have seen a number of later FX-8350s that when on Sabertooth boards will do 4.8Ghz P95 Blend stable for hours. And a couple on very good water loops have been gaming at 5.0Ghz. The PRO and EVO about 92% certain will not allow that.
RGone...ster.

You might want to look at AMD Radeon cards as well. You tend to get more bang for the buck with Radeon as opposed to Nvidia IMO as long as your not doing anything that uses CUDA. For the $260 you are looking at putting out on that Nvidia 760 GTX I think you could get a more powerful card if you go Radeon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202090

+1 for the 270 there.

I have the 270x version of that card. Lots of power :thup:

EDIT: Ooof. OCF put me on page 1 of the thread. :facepalm:

$95.00 plus whatever for shipping for what as a namebrand card goes for about $240ish and that is $95.00? Do what?? Core speed showing 800 when the REAL 760s are over 1000. One face on fan not a turnbine so it will not be as cool as all others that have 2 or 3 face on fans since they are not turbine. Average shipping time 39 days.

You pay to ship it back if not as described OR you arrange whatever refund is offfered 'when' it is not as advertised. Yeah right!.

Not for me.
RGone...ster. :bang head:bump:

Also would somthing like this be as powerful as the ones linked from everyone?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...013999999870&gclid=CMqHlpHRvr4CFa1cMgodRm0ATw

$95.00 plus whatever for shipping for what as a namebrand card goes for about $240ish and that is $95.00? Do what?? Core speed showing 800 when the REAL 760s are over 1000. One face on fan not a turnbine so it will not be as cool as all others that have 2 or 3 face on fans since they are not turbine. Average shipping time 39 days.

You pay to ship it back if not as described OR you arrange whatever refund is offfered 'when' it is not as advertised. Yeah right!.

Not for me.
RGone...ster. :bang head:bump:

Were you drunk or under the influence of illicit drugs when you wrote that post? :shrug::rofl:

So incoherent...

Alright so I've been trying to do some research on GPU's and Mobos. would this be good for the games such as Watch dogs and the division its overclocked is what is says so I was wondering would I be able to play with everything on high with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...27783&ef_id=U3-o7AAABdsXPryZ:20140524014355:s
its more in my price range that I can affor.

Also the mobo that I was kind of looking into was the http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-M5A99F...I-BIOS-1-/191155931763?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

But also was wanting the https://www.google.com/#q=sabertooth+990fx&safe=active&tbm=shop&spd=6764989256602505424 for the price i found it.

Which would be the best to OC my FX 8320 to 4.0+GHz

Just want to ask once more before I purchase these parts.

Back