• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed. Clear coolant changed color.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonicsupremcy

Hello everyone!

Few days ago I build my first loop (CPU only), filled it, leak tested and bled it.

Now after 3 days my coolant (distilled water + anti-corrosive + biocide) has changed color
from clear to light blue and I can't figure out the cause.

I also flushed everything before assembling the loop.

I have attached a picture to illustrate the problem
rez.jpg

Your help is greatly appreciated!

p.s. I have searched the forums for similar issue and couldn't find one so I opened a new thread

What biocide?, and what anti-corrosive?
Most copper sulphate based biocides will indeed ' blue out ' over time.
The only reason you ever need an anti corrosive is if you're running mixed metals in your loop.

nice color, I rather like it.
but i'mm afraid your going to have to flush the system and start over.

Mayhems biocide is copper sulphate based. ;)

If you have no mixed metals in your loop, keep it simple.
Distilled water and silver.

:welcome: to OCFs.

If you want color, add some LEDs behind the reservoir or use a LED Plug on one of the vacant holes as well as picking up some PrimoChill Advanced LRT with the choice of color.

Good luck and let us know after you flush everything. Flush it a quite a few times to get that colored fluid out.

Many anti-corrosives meant for cars have color indicators for a given ph (and many water cooling anti-corrosives are made from concentrated car products)..ie they change color if ph gets out of the specified slightly basic range. For example if adding copper sulphate and using higher content of distilled makes the solution less basic, or even acidic, it will change color. My guess is the anti-corrosion you used has color indicator in it.

If you use anti-corrosion dont use a biocide, anti-corrisives are toxic to life as is the 2-4% obligatory ethylene glycol final concentration, so no need to use both, one or other, and mixing additives is how you make sludge. And if not mixing metal, no real need for anti-corrosives.

Last edited:
Back