• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed: First time building gaming pc- OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kumaran7kk

Registered
After putting alot of thought, ive decieded to get a gaming rig which can OC.
looking for a computer with OC-ing capabilities CPU & GPU...

The updated rig i so far came up with is as follows:

Processor: i5 4690k
Gpu: ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3 GB (any other manufacturer u recommend?)

Mobo: ??? this is where im lost. i came up with a few but dont know which one to choose... Any suggestions. which mobo good for oc-ing

ASUS AS Z97-A
ASUS AS MAXIMUS VI HERO

Ram: (which one is good. And should i get 1600mhz or 1866mhz?)
vengeance pro (2x4gb) 1600mhz
or
G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X 1866Mhz
or
G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X 1600mhz)

Ssd: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250gb
Hdd: WD 1tb Sata 3 (blue) (is segate better??)
PSU:Seasonic g-650 80+ gold/mod (is this enough? is the CORSAIR RM 750W Silent Mod. Gold better?)
Casing: CORSAIR Obsidian 760T BLACK
CPU cooling: CORSAIR H100i (anything better?)

Thanks for the help in advance :)

that gpu is great

the z97 extreme 6 is the "goto" mother board around here.

ram wont matter too much gaming. get whatever's cheapest that doesnt have a stupid large heat spreader

wd blue is fine

good psu

good case

h100i is good aio cooler.

good build all around: )

that gpu is great

the z97 extreme 6 is the "goto" mother board around here.

ram wont matter too much gaming. get whatever's cheapest that doesnt have a stupid large heat spreader

wd blue is fine

good psu

good case

h100i is good aio cooler.

good build all around: )

Thanks for your feedback... :)
Unfortunatly the place im buying dont have the mobo u suggested

for ASROCK they only have

z97-pro4 or
z97 killer

Would probably opt for the Killer it has some excellent reviews. There both pretty cheap boards, but the Pro 4 is really cheap. The cheaper you go the more coin flipping you are doing on getting a good board or a nightmare board.

As for ram, this is how I pick ram. Find the cheapest good cas9 1600. Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Now is there something faster at cas9 for $5 more?

Sure is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476

Easy decision.

Last edited:
Would probably opt for the Killer it has some excellent reviews. There both pretty cheap boards, but the Pro 4 is really cheap. The cheaper you go the more coin flipping you are doing on getting a good board or a nightmare board.

As for ram, this is how I pick ram. Find the cheapest good cas9 1600. Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Now is there something faster at cas9 for $5 more?

Sure is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476

Easy decision.

Thanks i will take note :)

The WD blue is excellent.
GPU, I would consider an EVGA 780 6GB SC
PSU, whats the price difference between the two you listed where you are buying?
Cooling, would go H110 or better if you really want to push your OC's.

The WD blue is excellent.
GPU, I would consider an EVGA 780 6GB SC
PSU, whats the price difference between the two you listed where you are buying?
Cooling, would go H110 or better if you really want to push your OC's.

Hi, thanks for ur feedback again :)

GPU: for evga there is only EVGA gtx 780 classified 3gb
PSU: Seasonic g650w is $8 SGD cheaper than Crosair rm 750w
Cooling: i jus realised the highest they have is h100i only :)

Without knowing his monitor setup, I don't know why he'd need a 6GB card over a 3?

True, just a little future proofing. For his monitor 3GB is plenty.

I do think 1080p has peaked and will start its decline slowly over the next year and in 2-3 most ppl will be on higher res. Once I see more of the Swift I will prolly be upgrading and my Titan could be an issue for me.

If the H100i is all they have its fine. I would consider replacing the stock corsair fans with better quieter pwm fans.

This is the link to the shops price list...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p2qfacgd1h9z4i/Price List.pdf

Yikes!

Ok, so the first column after the motherboard models, is that the price of the mobo to the left? (So, for example, Asrock Z97 killer is 239?).

And all the columns to the right of the "white background" column, are those combo prices with the mobo on the y-axis and CPU on the x-axis? Or are the "black background" columns prices of just the CPUs themselves?

if he's gona game he needs an ssd for the os, itjust makes it better if your spending coin.

It'll affect game load times, but not in-game experience. I agree tho, I will never build/own another computer without an SSD. It is almost unbearable now using a computer without one for everyday tasks.

Yikes!

Ok, so the first column after the motherboard models, is that the price of the mobo to the left? (So, for example, Asrock Z97 killer is 239?).

And all the columns to the right of the "white background" column, are those combo prices with the mobo on the y-axis and CPU on the x-axis? Or are the "black background" columns prices of just the CPUs themselves?

Yes, First Column is the price of the motherboard

Second column onwards are the combo prices of the mobo and CPU together

Back