• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed: First time building gaming pc- OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True, just a little future proofing. For his monitor 3GB is plenty.

I do think 1080p has peaked and will start its decline slowly over the next year and in 2-3 most ppl will be on higher res. Once I see more of the Swift I will prolly be upgrading and my Titan could be an issue for me.

If the H100i is all they have its fine. I would consider replacing the stock corsair fans with better quieter pwm fans.

Thanks. I will take note

You can "EDIT" your posts rather than double triple posting :)

On to your OP...

I think your CPU selection is the right one. 4690K, check mark.

I'd have a hard time justifying the price ($169) of the H100i CPU cooler. For 1/3 that price, you could probably pick the best air cooler they have and get 80-90% of the performance (might be louder tho). It's just a big jump in price, in my opinion. You could get the i7 CPU instead of the i5 with the money you save, for example...

For motherboard, I would go with either the Asrock Z97 Killer ($527 combo'd with your CPU) or the Asus Z97-A ($573 combo'd with your CPU). The Asrock is said to perform very well, but feels "cheap". The Asus is the "go-to" budget board. The Maximus VI line are all Z87 (last-gen), so I'd eliminate that as an option.

RAM, I'd go with G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X 1866Mhz KIT of 2 for ($125)

SSD, 250 EVO is the right pick I think, at $187.

For the graphics card, if you're completely set on a 780, then the Asus DC2 at $730 is the right choice from your options.
You may want to read some reviews on the AMD 290 and 290X, tho, as they perform at the same level or better than the 780.
If it were my build, I'd grab the SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G at $619 and save $111 compared to the 780.

Sorry about the thriple posting :)

I'd have a hard time justifying the price ($169) of the H100i CPU cooler. For 1/3 that price, you could probably pick the best air cooler they have and get 80-90% of the performance

Whats the air cooler u refering to?

The Maximus VI line are all Z87 (last-gen), so I'd eliminate that as an option.

As for the motherboard, if u look closely at the price list, they have the current gen ones which are the maximus VII. ( its about 10 lines below the maximus VI) Is the maximus VII line better for overclocking?

You may want to read some reviews on the AMD 290 and 290X, tho, as they perform at the same level or better than the 780.
If it were my build, I'd grab the SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G at $619 and save $111 compared to the 780

Inititally i wanted to get the radeon r290 and the exact same SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G u suggested. But they currently dont have stock and suppliers wont be getting anymore of the SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G. But they do have Gigabyte R9 290 WindForce OC. When i researched, i read many articles saying that the card gets too hot and stuff like that and im not sure whether the card is reliable. Thats why i wanted to get GTX 780. I found out that r9 290 actually beats gtx 780 in a couple of benchmarks, but im jus worried that the GPU might fail. Whats your advice? Should i get the Gigabyte r9 290 windforce oc?

And one more thing, they actually do have SAP-Trix-R920x-f4g, price is $799. Is this better than gtx 780? i didnt really research about this GPU yet

Whats the air cooler u refering to?

Any of them below the $70 mark. It just doesn't seem like a good return on your money to pay an extra $100 for the h100i. I'd look up reviews for all of the cheaper ones and see how they compare to the 100i. As I mentioned, you'd be better off putting that $100 elsewhere in the build (bigger SSD, GPU bump, i7 CPU...).

As for the motherboard, if u look closely at the price list, they have the current gen ones which are the maximus VII. ( its about 10 lines below the maximus VI) Is the maximus VII line better for overclocking?

Similar argument to the CPU cooler. Will the Maximus VII line have a few more features for overclocking over the Killer or Z97-A? Probably. But will you make use of them? Probably not. If you were into extreme cooling/overclocking, the extra $100 for those boards might be a good investment, but it doesn't seem like that is a focus for you. You'll be able to get a very decent overclock with either of the cheaper boards. Why pay $100-200 more for a board whose features you likely won't make use of?

Inititally i wanted to get the radeon r290 and the exact same SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G u suggested. But they currently dont have stock and suppliers wont be getting anymore of the SAP-TRIX-R9290-F4G. But they do have Gigabyte R9 290 WindForce OC. When i researched, i read many articles saying that the card gets too hot and stuff like that and im not sure whether the card is reliable. Thats why i wanted to get GTX 780. I found out that r9 290 actually beats gtx 780 in a couple of benchmarks, but im jus worried that the GPU might fail. Whats your advice? Should i get the Gigabyte r9 290 windforce oc?

I didn't see the Windforce 290 in the list (might have missed it). Honestly, I would choose almost any aftermarket-cooler R9 290 over a GTX 780. The reference (single fan cooler) models got hot (90c+), but the aftermarket coolers dropped that significantly. My Tri-X 290 runs ~70 under load. Even with the reference models, they were designed to run that hot. They're not going to fail running at those temps. We, as consumers, just aren't used to cards being that warm.

If you can find a 290 with an aftermarket (double/triple-fan) cooler for less than a GTX 780, I would say read a bunch of reviews on it, just to convince yourself, and then save the money and get it :thup:

And one more thing, they actually do have SAP-Trix-R920x-f4g, price is $799. Is this better than gtx 780? i didnt really research about this GPU yet

The 290x is better than the 780. However, with you only being at 1080P, you definitely don't need the extra power.

Looking at the numbers, the GPU prices are so inflated where you live, it might be worth the extra 10% ($730 vs. $800) to get the 290x over the 780. It will definitely be "stronger longer" and $70 extra when you're already paying $700+ is negligible. I'll leave it up to you. Again, read reviews. They'll help you decide.

f you can find a 290 with an aftermarket (double/triple-fan) cooler for less than a GTX 780, I would say read a bunch of reviews on it, just to convince yourself, and then save the money and get it

hi again,

Thanks alot for your advice, i will look up on the reviews. I jus realized they also have r9 280x Vapour-X too. But i want to play all the games at max graphic settings and dont want any lag while playing. not really sure if r9 280x vapour-x can do that. Do U have any idea about this paticular GPU?

Last edited:
With GPU's you pretty much get what you pay for.

The 280x is basically a 7970. It can dip down to low 30's or less at ultra settings in the more demanding games. Its still pushing playable frame rates though most of the time and in most other games its pushing way over what you need. I would try to get better if you have the budget for it.

Looking at that price list the cpl that jump out at me are the WF GTX 770 4GB OC for $509 and the Powercolor 290 4GB for $499. Problem with that powercolor card is you have to bios update it or you will get crashes but once you do it should run like a champ. Either of these will do the job.

Anything better your going to 600, 700, and 800+. Up to you if you want to spend it.

With GPU's you pretty much get what you pay for.

The 280x is basically a 7970. It can dip down to low 30's or less at ultra settings in the more demanding games. Its still pushing playable frame rates though most of the time and in most other games its pushing way over what you need. I would try to get better if you have the budget for it.

Looking at that price list the cpl that jump out at me are the WF GTX 770 4GB OC for $509 and the Powercolor 290 4GB for $499. Problem with that powercolor card is you have to bios update it or you will get crashes but once you do it should run like a champ. Either of these will do the job.

I saw the R9 290 4GB PCS+, but figured it was a reference model based on the price. If it is this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131549&Tpk=N82E16814131549
, then it would be my choice, hands down. You're getting the same performance as the GTX 780 for $230 less and the aftermarket cooler should do nicely. You'll want to look into the BIOS issue Daleon mentioned, but that shouldn't be a big deal and def worth the savings.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a 770 (even a 4GB version). In the past year I've owned a 7950, a few 280Xs, a 290, 290X, GTX 670, GTX 680, and a 4GB 770. Granted, I only play a couple games (BF3, BF4, CoH1 and 2, and DayZ), but the 770s gave me almost the same performance (give or take 5%) as the 280Xs. Not worth the price difference, IMO. I got a little bit better results than Daleon mentioned with both of those cards, tho. I never dipped below 40 FPS with the 770 or the 280X in BF4 @ 1080P with everything maxed out on Ultra.

Here's a post with some of my results:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7667492&postcount=813

Which brings me to the 280X, question.

hi again,

Thanks alot for your advice, i will look up on the reviews. I jus realized they also have r9 280x Vapour-X too. But i want to play all the games at max graphic settings and dont want any lag while playing. not really sure if r9 280x vapour-x can do that. Do U have any idea about this paticular GPU?

The 280X is actually a rebadged 7970 Ghz Edition, not just a 7970. There's about a 5-10% difference. Then there's another 10-20% performance jump from 280X to 290 (estimated, and you also get more vram, Mantle,...).

I think the 280X is a great card at the moment. I have one in my spare/wife's PC and I have them in 2 builds I did for friends. You can basically max out the settings (@1080P) in just about every modern game and not have to worry about slowdowns.

With the prices of 280Xs at your shop, however, (cheapest I see is $439) and with the low price on the aforementioned Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 (if it is indeed the one I linked), I would say it's definitely worth it to bump up to the 290, even at 1080P. You'll have some wiggle room for newer games and won't have to worry about upgrading so soon.

EDIT: BTW, Happy 10 year anniversary, Daleon. You should ask the mods for your "Decennial" badge :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the valuable advice guys. The one in the priceList is indeed the powercooler r9 290 PC+. I will go check on the Powercooler r9 290 PC+ review and come back. YOu guys really helped me alot.. Thanks :)

Hi. Im unable to find any professional review regarding the Powercolor r9 290 PCS+ online. The only one i can found the review is the newegg page ninjacore linked me. Over there many ppl complaining about BSODs and game crashes. You guys got any link to the review?

Edit: actually I just checked. They don't have the powercolor r9 290 pcs+ in the shop. There is No stock and won't be getting anymore stock for any r9 290 cards at the shop. They have only the r9 290x sapphire tri-x card readily available
So I have a choice of asus gtx 780 or sapphire r9 290x tri-x. The radeon card is 70$ more than the gtx card. Is it worth getting the sapphire r9 290x tri-x?

Btw my monitor is dell u2414h

Last edited:
Is there nowhere else you can buy from?

Nope. I can't get anywhere else. I tried 4 different shops regarding the r9 290 cards. All tell me the same thing. No stock. Supplier not taking in anymore. The only card I saw available was r9 290x saphire tri-x and it's the last one they have in the shop I'm planning to buy. haha. R9 cards are like so rare here!!

U mean the r9 290x saphire tri-x for 799$

I think u read my post wrongly :)
No more r9 290
Left with one r9 290x saphire tri-x only

Edit: I was also told that Zotac GTX 780 AMP 3GB is really a good card. Gonna research on that now. If u know anything about the card. Share with me Thnx :)
It has a 5 year warranty and $729

Last edited:
Yep, I misread that.

Honestly, they're about even at those prices. I'd say the 290X is about 5-10% better, but it's almost 10% more expensive, so it's the same performance/$.

You can't buy from any of these shops?

http://www.googoo.com.sg/shop2.asp
http://www.edge2o.com/shop/
http://www.sgmodder.com/
http://www.earthcomputer.sg/catalog/
http://www.feedamouse.blogspot.com/
http://www.banleong.com/sg/estore
http://marketplace.servicist.com.sg/

I don't know any of them, personally, just did a quick google search.

Thanks to all of u who gave me very good advice and suggestions regarding my gaming computer. I already bought it.

CPU: i5 4690k
Mobo: MSI z97 gaming 5
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classfied
ram: g skill rip jaw 8gb 1866mhz
SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb
HHD: WD 1TB (BLUE)
PSU: Leadex +80 gold full modular 650W
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Casing: CM 690iii

Special Thanks to NinjaCore and Daleon :)) (is there away to +rep for u guys?)
Thanks all of u once again! :)

Back