• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on a AGP upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Hey, im looking for a AGP card upgrade, and leaning towards sticking with nvidia. At the moment I have a geforce 5500 FX 256mb. I just bought FFXI (again) andonly benchmarked 2512. Also some of the characters kept fading in and out like a blink effect, so I think its time for a upgrade. I dont really want to spend more then 150 if possible. So any ideas on what I should buy in terms of a great upgrade from this card?

system specs as follows if needed:

amd athlon XP 2400+ OCed to 2.2 gigs
1Gig patriot ram
XFX KT40A-ANH
nvidia geforce 5500 FX

What about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103004

Looks like it's a bit faster than a 6600GT. You didn't say whether or not you had a manufacturer preference. I ordered one for a buddy of mine, but it was the Sapphire brand for $120. Didn't see it listed though.

OOPS! :shrug: I guess you did say you had a preference for nVidia (feeling dyslexic this morning). How about this then:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140067

It even has a rebate going on now!

Last edited:
The second seems to have alot of bad reviews because of artifacting. But it gives me an idea on what to go on Thanks.

DO NOT GOT WITH THE X1600X.... its a piece ... only has 4 pixle pipe lines (4x3)

I have a Leadtek Winfast 6600gt AGP 128mb got it shipped to the door for 153. ITS A GREAT CARD! stock its 500/900 and it ocs like a BEAST! right now i have it at 615/1272 fully stable. It beats my friends 6800nu 256mb 256bit card by 20+% in ALL benchies when its overclocked!

Ive played ffxi for a really long time and yes, the 6600GT is a marvelous card for that. cheap, fast.. Stay away from ati though. I have had a 9800xt, 6600GT , x800xt and now im at 7600gs. both nvidia cards run the game all around smoother and since i run the game windowed, the nvidia cards handle that + doing whatever else without choking which the ati cards do inexplicably.

you might consider a 6800GS agp, but they wont be as good as the pci-e ones.

After browsing through newegg, Ive decided to go ahead and go with the 6600gt. Now I hear it runs hot (not just from newegg, but from various places). My computer already runs hot at the moment.

2 80mm fans on the back, 1 80 in the front, and 1 on the side and I reach temps around 60ºc already. So any tips on cooling will help to thanks.

Rydis said:
After browsing through newegg, Ive decided to go ahead and go with the 6600gt. Now I hear it runs hot (not just from newegg, but from various places). My computer already runs hot at the moment.

2 80mm fans on the back, 1 80 in the front, and 1 on the side and I reach temps around 60ºc already. So any tips on cooling will help to thanks.

I used to have a problem with high temperatures, sounds daft but after going out and buying a new case with a different desgin, a very good PSU my temperatures plummeted. Now i get about 42 degrees on load and 33-34 at idle with my CPU. as for my 6600 GT that hits about 56 on load and 42 at idle. I also have two 120mm case fans.
Give a new case a try first and two big fans, which should be quieter as well.

I don't know how much difference is between the 2 brands, but I got the e-vga brand from tiger direct for 129.99 (before I seen this post).

1 last question. Is the floppy drive bio flash trick the only way to see the temp of the card? It seems to run rather hot without OC, but I would estimate 60º idle. I ask this because I dont have a floppy drive in my comp.

Edit:

I also tried programs like speedfan, rivia tuner and such, and couldn't get a temp either.

Thanks for the feedback, and I went with the 6600GT. Now like everyone else, I think it runs hot.

Idles around 65-70º and playing FFXI and CSS it goes around 80º with no OC. I searched forums and found out that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

would be a good fan to put on it. With reviews and what I read here, I just want to be 100% sure before I make the purchase. Is it ok to OC the memory of it has no heatsink for it?

^ that heatsink works like a charm. the memory doesn't need heatsinks. the 6600gt overclocks really well, although i think it's a little dated.

i would go with a 6800gs if you wanna spend a little extra... if not go with the 6600gt. I would reccomened eVGA. Great company, good return policy, and a good sep up prgram

Back