• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade to GTX970. Need a quick look over.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dabba

Hey guys, long time no post.

I have a GTX570 right now and I'm looking to upgrade. Right now my system is an AMD Fx-8350 (8 cores running at 4Ghz) and 8 Gigs of DDR3. That may become 16gigs in the future if needed, no isses with ram right now. I was looking to spend around 300 bucks, but seeing the 970 isnt much more expensive and it's up there as far as the benchmarks go..

I just want to make sure it won't be bottlenecked by anything else. The game I play the most is more cpu heavy without multicore support, but multicore is coming and I'm looking in general, not just for this game. The 570 gives me about 40 frames on high on bf4.

Thanks.

PS. I'm probably going to be keeping the cpu for awhile so, looking for a card on about the same level.

GTX 970 will definitely be "better" than the 8350, but it should be as it's about 2 generations newer. I think you'll be fine with the 8350 and a 970. Would an Intel chip perform better in games? Of course. But you're already down the rabbit hole and it wouldn't be cost effective at this point to switch platforms. See what comes out next year from Intel and AMD and make a decision then as to what CPU best suits you.

Bottom line, the 970 is the right choice. I would keep everything else the same (what's your PSU, though? ;)).

GTX 970 will definitely be "better" than the 8350, but it should be as it's about 2 generations newer. I think you'll be fine with the 8350 and a 970. Would an Intel chip perform better in games? Of course. But you're already down the rabbit hole and it wouldn't be cost effective at this point to switch platforms. See what comes out next year from Intel and AMD and make a decision then as to what CPU best suits you.

Bottom line, the 970 is the right choice. I would keep everything else the same (what's your PSU, though? ;)).

Honestly I'm not sure right now. I'll look at it if I need to upgrade. Any recommendations for min power, and brands if I do need to? I'm pretty sure its something around 700, so I dont think i'll need to.

I'm pretty loyal to AMD for the performance per price but, I'm not going to build a new system for awhile.

I don't think you'll need to build anew any time soon, especially with the 970.

700w should be more than enough provided it's a quality unit (Seasonic, Corsair, some EVGA/XFX...).

I don't think you'll need to build anew any time soon, especially with the 970.

700w should be more than enough provided it's a quality unit (Seasonic, Corsair, some EVGA/XFX...).

Thanks very much for your input!

Back