• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking my old Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltake

Registered
Hello,I have P4 3,4Ghz Prescott E0 stepping processor, and I would like to clock him as much as possible to be stable, but I need your help.I managed to overclock him but not as I thougt it would be, I was hoping for 250FSB and memory to work on 500Mhz but computer crashed on loading win. need help with that, and I enabled PAT in bios but in win. he said that it is disabled and that happend when I move fsb from default 200 on up, dunno why.

My Pc conf.:
proc.: P4 3,4Ghz Prescott E0 in idle (firefox open,winamp,msn) he is 38-41C, in full load he is around 47 but not going further. I am talking temps in clocked mode in secound test.
Cooler: Scythe katana 3000 (max.speed no fan regulator)
MBO: Asus p4p800-e deluxe (mbo. has a drop on vcore when max. loading)
memory: 2x1gb ddr400 g.skill Dual Chan. working @ 2.65V 1:1 I put 400Mhz to work on becouse when I put auto he is working on 266 same happend when I put 250FSB and auto but he still wont start to win.
Graphic:HD3850 Sapphire 512Mb I put zalman vf900 (she is clocked two) Agp Pci Freq. on 66.66\33.33
hdd: Wd640Gb i seagate 160Gb
power supply: Seasonic 520W Modular
Case: CM 590 with two 120mm on front sucking air in,two on the top 120mm sucking air out and one in the back sucking air out.

Now I doing some combinations and testing

first test
Tried CPU @ 1.5V 240FSB memory ddr 400Mhz @ 2.65V after 38minutes Orthos fail.

second test
CPU @ 1.5V 236FSB memory ddr400Mhz @ 2.65V I cancel test after hour and ten minutes guess it's stable after hour I know I probably should left him like 3 hours of testing but I think if he was goin' to fail he will within an hour.This is not how I think It would be I was hoping like I said up there for 250fsb and maybe ddr500 if someone know some combination that I can do to achieve that please write,thanks.

I'am new here, I searched if similar thread already exists and I couldn't find it, so if it is, please admins/mods. move it, thanks.

Last edited:
I used to run my 3.2 prescott at 250fsb, but the multi was 16x versus 17x on yours. Getting a prescott to 4.2 stable on air is not too likely. I did manage to get mine up to 4.2 @1.56v (263 fsb), but it was only stable enough to run benchmarks. I wish I could be more help, but it's been so long since I oc'd a presscott.

I had my previous 3.2 Prescott @ 3.94 also 16x unfortunately he was stepping C not good overclocker and he heat alot. This new is stepping E and 200Mhz, his temps are way lower compared to my previous proc. I thought he would go alot more than my old 3.2.

Last edited:
I use to run my P4 3.0E at 3.9GHz (260x15). Iirc I had to get some DDR-500 to get there in 1:1 as the other RAM dividers didn't work as well. So, maybe you need faster RAM?

Anyway you do it, though, I think you'll find a lot of difficulty finding stability above 4GHz on air. You can try a vdroop mod on that board...it might help a little.

Okay ignore then ram but I think g.skill is good ram and with rising voltage I think it can go on 500, but how about processor how far can he go?

It sounds like you've reached the limit w/ your given cooling. The temps may seem fine to you, but to go really fast you have to get really cold.

What I think personally this mbo has a big vcore drop I mean when I put 1.5V in bios is 1.44-1.456 varies when I put 1.5125 it varies from 1.45-1.47, but in windows in everest a.k.a aida64 I think it's not right, but in CPU-Z is, and he is showing exact voltage as it is in bios, I think. When a processor is in full load there are huge drops like 0.50 or more V.

Then crank up the vcore to compensate. A high idle voltage doesn't really do any damage as there is very little current flowing. Loaded vcore is what matters.

So what you sayin' is I can put I dont know like 1.55V to get 1.5 on full load and that counts, but when it's going to be 1.55 when pc is idle, It won't do him any harm ?

Correct. What's important is total power: [Watts = Voltage X Current]

At idle there is very little current, so even w/ a high voltage there isn't a lot of wattage coursing through the CPU's veins.

I put 1.6v through a 65nm CPU and that wasn't even considered a suicide run, so that 90nm should be able to handle 1.5-1.55v no problem.

But if it blows up please don't hold me accountable! :)

Yes I know, it would be my fault. I was looking for some kind of max. safe voltage for this processor, and I always managed to find for every other, but couldn't find for this one to stop that blow but I'm sure that wont be any, becouse I wont go too far with voltage, and this mbo is cool becouse she wont boot if something fails, then you switch it off and on again and it's back to previous good state.

Yes I know, it would be my fault. I was looking for some kind of max. safe voltage for this processor, and I always managed to find for every other, but couldn't find for this one to stop that blow but I'm sure that wont be any, becouse I wont go too far with voltage, and this mbo is cool becouse she wont boot if something fails, then you switch it off and on again and it's back to previous good state.

Is this your only rig or what ????

What else should she have, this is an old mbo but very classy, she have that CrashFree BIOS 2 to prevent that.

What else should she have, this is an old mbo but very classy, she have that CrashFree BIOS 2 to prevent
that.

Oh ok I was just asking because i have some p4 stuff i am willing to part with and here"s specs below...

SPEC-
asrock-p4i65g
cpu-intel p4 3.06 ghz w/ht (overclocked to 3.69gzh) Socket 478
agp 8x
1gb of pc2100 ram
Thermalright XP-120 w/120mm fan ( the hs is lapped too
A couple of 80mm fans
VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO 512 MB

maxx stats
1420838.png

You have Northwood mine is prescott but even for northy I think 1.66 is too much voltage,whats you temp. in idle and full load? Prescotts heat more than norths keep that in mind.

Back