• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Overclocking! Phenom II 965BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UpcomingChris

Registered
I'm having trouble Overclocking my CPU with stability, I've increased the "Over Voltage" setting up to 1.5 and stopped as i thought this was a little too high got my liking trying to run my CPU at 3.8GHz, And i bluescreen, i was told that the bluescreen is most likley the lack of Voltage, But 1.5000 volts at 3.8?, i was expectig to be at 4.0 at like 1.4500 or something, I have a ASUS M4A77 Motherboard, 6GB DDR2 Ram, and i have good cooling, it's currently at 3.6 and somewhat stable ish, and i don't go above 43 degrees full load, Help!

I'm having trouble Overclocking my CPU with stability, I've increased the "Over Voltage" setting up to 1.5 and stopped as i thought this was a little too high got my liking trying to run my CPU at 3.8GHz, And i bluescreen, i was told that the bluescreen is most likley the lack of Voltage, But 1.5000 volts at 3.8?, i was expectig to be at 4.0 at like 1.4500 or something, I have a ASUS M4A77 Motherboard, 6GB DDR2 Ram, and i have good cooling, it's currently at 3.6 and somewhat stable ish, and i don't go above 43 degrees full load, Help!

List the following:

Motherboard:
CPU:
PSU:
Cooler:
Case:
GPU:

Are you OCin'g using AMD overdrive? Don't.

Add some CPU-z shots, main page and Memory, if you could. You should be able to get up to 3.6~ on stock voltage stable, and 1.45-1.475 takes most 965s up to 3.9-4.1GHz. Note I said most. We need supple information to offer a supple solution.

Make sure you're overclocking in BIOS. Make sure Cool n' Quiet is disabled, C1E, other power-saving settings in motherboard. Make sure "Performance" profile is set in WPM. No matter how careful your settings are, how good your board is, and how good your CPU is, power-saving settings will blow your gasket off during OC :D

Good cooling? What exactly does that mean? And have you actually monitored your temps with HWMonitor while fully loading the system with the Prime95 blend stress test? And how are you overclocking this? Withe the CPU core speed multiplier only, withe the FSB only or a combination of both? You raise more questions than you answer. And if you are running 6 gb of ram that makes me wonder if you are in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode.

Like Anonaru said, we need a more complete list of your hardware pieces. We need, for instance, make and model of the CPU cooler. Make and model of the case and a description of the fan placement and orientation (how many intake fans and how many exhaust fans and where are they?) What is the make and model of your video card? Make and wattage of your PSU?

Also, please download and install the following software: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Please run CPU-z immediately and post back with attached images of these three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Here are directions for attaching images with your post:

First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard stokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Those three pics from CPU-z will give us lots of info about your system and your bios settings. By the way, I assume you are overclocking with manual controls in bios rather than using some overclocking genie either in bios or in Windows. Is this correct?

List the following:

Motherboard:
CPU:
PSU:
Cooler:
Case:
GPU:

Are you OCin'g using AMD overdrive? Don't.

Add some CPU-z shots, main page and Memory, if you could. You should be able to get up to 3.6~ on stock voltage stable, and 1.45-1.475 takes most 965s up to 3.9-4.1GHz. Note I said most. We need supple information to offer a supple solution.

Make sure you're overclocking in BIOS. Make sure Cool n' Quiet is disabled, C1E, other power-saving settings in motherboard. Make sure "Performance" profile is set in WPM. No matter how careful your settings are, how good your board is, and how good your CPU is, power-saving settings will blow your gasket off during OC :D

Motherboard: ASUS M4A77
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition
PSU: atx-600td
Cooler: Xigmatek Aegir
Case: NZXT M59
GPU: nVidia GTX50 Ti Twin Frozr edition

I'll get some images in a few minutes, there's quite alot of settings in my Bios that i'm not familiwe with, that are on Auto

GPU: "nvidia GTX50 Ti . . ." Do you mean GTX650Ti"?

What is the make of your PSU? The company that manufactured it I mean?

Good cooling? What exactly does that mean? And have you actually monitored your temps with HWMonitor while fully loading the system with the Prime95 blend stress test? And how are you overclocking this? Withe the CPU core speed multiplier only, withe the FSB only or a combination of both? You raise more questions than you answer. And if you are running 6 gb of ram that makes me wonder if you are in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode.

Like Anonaru said, we need a more complete list of your hardware pieces. We need, for instance, make and model of the CPU cooler. Make and model of the case and a description of the fan placement and orientation (how many intake fans and how many exhaust fans and where are they?) What is the make and model of your video card? Make and wattage of your PSU?

Also, please download and install the following software: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Please run CPU-z immediately and post back with attached images of these three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Here are directions for attaching images with your post:

First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard stokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Those three pics from CPU-z will give us lots of info about your system and your bios settings. By the way, I assume you are overclocking with manual controls in bios rather than using some overclocking genie either in bios or in Windows. Is this correct?

manual in Bios yes. "Good Cooling" means i forgot the name of my Aftermarket cooler, lol, Yes i have CPU-Z, and i use CoreTemp to check tempartures, i don't go above 45 at full load with a overclock to 3.6, I'm only using the Multiplier, I'm still very new to this whole thing so i apologise for the lack of info, I'll have some images up soon

some BIOS images

CPU-Z

http://i.imgur.com/ArD6xNU.png?1

I forgot to put the Multiplier back down to 3.6ghz, those settings in these images are unstable

Pleeasse host on-site! Proud of myself, made this in three clicks :D The reason for this is because some of us cannot see sites such as photobucket and imgur at work! This is how:

jeez.JPG

Chris, please attach the images directly with you posts rather than link them to a website. I believe I gave you detailed instructions concerning how to do that. Please make it as easy as possible for us to help you and directly attached images is one way to do that.

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Spd.jpg
    Spd.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
So, we assume you have one 4 gb memory module and one 2 gb module installed. Correct?

And it looks like you are using the core speed multiplier only to overclock since the FSB, HT Link and NB frequencies all seem to be stock.

It also looks like you still have the "green" stuff enabled. Please disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure the option to High Performance if it is not already.

So, we assume you have one 4 gb memory module and one 2 gb module installed. Correct?

And it looks like you are using the core speed multiplier only to overclock since the FSB, HT Link and NB frequencies all seem to be stock.

It also looks like you still have the "green" stuff enabled. Please disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure the option to High Performance if it is not already.

Cool N Quiet is disabled, as is C1E, Power settings wern't set to high performance though, It was on Balanced, could that cause the issue?.

I have 4 ram sticks in my system, I believe it'll be 2x2GB + 2x1GB?, Really do need to get new ram

Cool N Quiet is disabled, as is C1E, Power settings wern't set to high performance though, It was on Balanced, could that cause the issue?.

I have 4 ram sticks in my system, I believe it'll be 2x2GB + 2x1GB?, Really do need to get new ram

RAM should be alright, so long as we're careful about timing and frequency settings at first. It may be worth your tmie to only have your two fastest / largest modules installed during OC'ing, just to eliminate the possibility of one more problem.

WPM settings might have nothing to do with your issue, or it could be the issue at hand. Having all the "easy" problems out of the way allows us to really crunch in and get things taken care of. You'll probably end up finding that a little FSB tweaking along with multiplier will net you a higher overall OC, but I'm going to digress unless trents can't find a solution for you, he's got this under control :attn:

Better to set Power to High Performance to ensure that voltages and frequencies remain steady.

Now, here's what I want you to do:

1. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for temps.
2. At the end of that stress test, post back with a pic of HWmonitor so we can see what the max core and CPU socket temps were during that test. Your instability could be heat-related.

If you can't pass the 20 minute Prime95 blend test, just report back to us what you observed were the max core and CPU temps reached before the crash.

Better to set Power to High Performance to ensure that voltages and frequencies remain steady.

Now, here's what I want you to do:

1. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for temps.
2. At the end of that stress test, post back with a pic of HWmonitor so we can see what the max core and CPU socket temps were during that test. Your instability could be heat-related.

If you can't pass the 20 minute Prime95 blend test, just report back to us what you observed were the max core and CPU temps reached before the crash.

I very much doubt it's heat related, i've been keeping a close eye on my temps every time i do this, and it doesn't climb above ~45, I won't be able to pass the 20 minute mark, I'll give it a shot though!.

Edit: 3.8 @ 1.40000v and it blue screend almost instantly, Going to try 3.7 @ 1.41250

Edit: Started the test at 16:27, 10 minutes ago from now, Temps have been stable at 47 for a while, Max CPU VCORE 1.440, Min is 1.296, This is at 3.7 @ 1.41250, Going to get in the shower, hopefully my system is still on when i get back

Attachments

• gade.png
    gade.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Is that 45c temp you quote core temp or socket temp? Both are important. In HWMonitor CPU socket temp may show up as "CPUTIN" or generically as one of the "TMPINx" lines.

One issue here could very well be that your memory modules are of unequal size and creating an imbalance. It's much better to have two identical modules installed. True dual channel memory is sold in a certified, factory matched pair.

One issue here could very well be that your memory modules are of unequal size and creating an imbalance. It's much better to have two identical modules installed. True dual channel memory is sold in a certified, factory matched pair.

I was thinking that, I could take out the extra 2GB and try with the 4GB i have in there, Which is a matched pair of 2x2GB, ,my cpu just finished 20 minutes, it also reached 49 degrees just at the end.

Think i'll up the multiplier once, see if it's stable, if not up the Voltage a tad, and see what happens

End results after 20 minutes.

Shower time, back in half hour

Attachments

• gade.jpg
    gade.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back