• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! PC crashing for no reason.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeoTanoue

Hello, I just recently assembled my first computer all by myself. I always had someone do it for me and I got a laptop on my freshman year in college. So now, I have:
-AMD FX8350 Vishera 4.0 Ghz 8 cores
-MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
-ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
-Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550 550W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply
-SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

It works perfectly, until I stress it. I played Bastion and Terraria and other low end games just fine, but if I try games like Darksiders II or Metro Last Light the computer crashes. I'm going to install liquid cooling and a few extra fans but idk what's wrong. I ran memtest86 for about 24 hours and it passed all the tests. But when I run prime 95 I get an "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
I made sure ALL my drivers were up to date, graphics card, chipset, BIOS, and whatever else I could think. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sounds like I'd be RMAing the CPU. Have you read the stress.txt? Also, I'd run some GPU benchmarks just to be sure; Google Unigen heaven.

Motherboard or CPU may be faulty. If the meory pass 24h memtest without issue i think the ram is fine.

Bios all on default ?

could be anything
if everything is default un overclocked that is.

check your cpu temps make sure its not a bad mount or something simple.

If its failing primes it can be ram even though mem test is passing. try a voltage bump on the memory bump the mem to say 1.65v and see what happens.

usually when cpus fail prime is just bsod or a lockup in my experience.

Oh yes there is a reason...stuff does not happen for nothing.

-ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

If you guys do just a little googling you will find that mobo has a very hard time suporting this cpu. -AMD FX8350 Vishera 4.0 Ghz 8 cores

That knowledge is becoming more and more widespread. The cheap entry level AMD boards just are not robust enough to work well with many FX processors. Do okay for email and surfing but issues after that.

Default Vcore may not be great enough to support the 8 core FX processor when loaded hard.

Read this short thread with a link by caddi daddi. What his FX-4170 4 core cpu does on his M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. That is post #5 in the thread.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731903&highlight=fail

If you guys do just a little googling you will find that mobo has a very hard time suporting this cpu. -AMD FX8350 Vishera 4.0 Ghz 8 cores

That knowledge is becoming more and more widespread. The cheap entry level AMD boards just are not robust enough to work well with many FX processors. Do okay for email and surfing but issues after that.

Default Vcore may not be great enough to support the 8 core FX processor when loaded hard.

Read this short thread with a link by caddi daddi. What his FX-4170 4 core cpu does on his M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. That is post #5 in the thread.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731903&highlight=fail

+1 on this

It works perfectly, until I stress it. I played Bastion and Terraria and other low end games just fine, but if I try games like Darksiders II or Metro Last Light the computer crashes. I'm going to install liquid cooling and a few extra fans but idk what's wrong. I ran memtest86 for about 24 hours and it passed all the tests. But when I run prime 95 I get an "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."

Those are typical signs of AMD core instability.

No as someone else has stated already its 99% sure the board. If OP had put in the extra 10 bucks and got the M5A99X-Evo it would've been fine. I suggest trying to swap the board for a M5A99X-Evo or a Asus Sabertooth or something.

It is just that the entry level asus boards don't handle the FX8xxx series cpu's very well since they exceed their actual TDP stated by AMD. AMD claims the FX8350 has a TDP of 125Watts.(test have shown the TDP is actually 130-140Watts) you guys might think that is not that much of a difference. and I say true, but on a entry level board where a little lower end VRM's and Caps are used, and there is very little headroom for high TDP's it's a HUGE difference.

On the other hand the M5A97 board does very well with FX-6xxx series CPU's since the TDP is 95 watts and does overclock well with those CPU's, till 125 Watts of power draw.. then they start to fail. That basicly proves the point. The board is made for a MAX off 125 Watts TDP and NOTHING MORE.

Try to switch the board in the shop :)

Back