• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please - is my SSD dead? Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hermes_tri

I've got intel i5 ultrabook with two drives - 500 GB HDD and 32 GB SSD. All was working fine, until one day when laptop overheated and restarted itself. Then it got stuck on some file recovery string lines on start up and I made stupid decision to force restart rather then wait. After I have done that, Windows 8 had stopped loading at all and I was stuck on Medion logo. I could not even get to the Windows recovery options. I went into Bios and changed SATA connection from Raid to ACHI. Issue was seemingly fixe, and Windows was loading without problem. Ok, so this is where I am at now:

1. If BIOS is set to ACHI, everything is fine but SSD is shown as "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" in the Device Manager and in Intel Rapid Storage it is shown as incompatible with status unknown.
2. If BIOS is set to RAID, Device manager is still showing the same, Intel Rapid Storage is showing it as working RAID 0 set for speeding up hibernation, etc. but after waking up the laptop from any king of sleep - BSOD comes up with DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL with a reference to iaStora.sys which is Intel's rapid storage driver.

I have tried refreshing, recovering and fully reinstalling windows 8 but this issue is still present. I suspect that my SSD is DEAD, is there any way to check its status? I would also prefer to install Windows on SSD itself rather then using it to speed up hibernation?

Any advices on what to do, please!

i have never tried to use a SSD and HDD in a RAID configuration it never crossed my mind that that would work,but if your windows was installed in RAID then you would have to switch the SSD to ACHI and then format the SSD and reinstall windows again to be able to use it on its own.

i have never tried to use a SSD and HDD in a RAID configuration it never crossed my mind that that would work,but if your windows was installed in RAID then you would have to switch the SSD to ACHI and then format the SSD and reinstall windows again to be able to use it on its own.

hm, so do you think my SSD is still alive? How do I go about reinstalling Windows 8 and reformatting the SSD? I tried CMD, but there is no patrition for the SSD.. I only have OEM Windows 8 btw.. Very confused..

Loooks like its dead. Device manager shows it as not properly connected code 45,Bios is showing it in Ahci bit i cant get it working..

hmm maybe try to connect it to another pc and reformat it,you could also try to update the firmware if there is an update for it most drives have updates out for them.

Back