• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please ! Newly broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdenton

Hi this is weird.

IWill KK266-R
T-Bred 1.33 (has been at 1.5 in the past) [EDIT: T-Bird)

My computer started rebooting, then rebooting, then rebooting into XP. Finally I got it into BIOS and all seemed well there. Then upon reboot it was looking for a floppy and AWFLASH.EXE... Well, seemed to me that the BIOS must have corrupted, so I cleared CMOS and rebooted again. Then it told me my CPU had changed and to go into BIOS (BIOS checksum error?) and save the new info. That all went fine. Then reboot again and now it hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool" ... hmmm now it is booting into XP again.

Eesh. When I went into BIOS again to look at "PC Health" it told me my CPU temp was 80C !?! I will try to have MBM verify, but does anyone have any ideas? Could it be my proc is going? Its actually newish after my fan fell off my old chip a few months ago.

MBM is now reading 11C, 24C, 28C on sensors 1, 2 and 3. And the alarm just went off telling me that sensor 4 is reading 77C!?!

Sounds like maybe a bad proc, but would appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Tad

Last edited:
Bad heatsinnk mounting or incorrect application of heat transfer compound.

If your old fan "fell off", was the clip broken on the motherboard socket?

Make sure the heatsink fan is blowing air into the heatsink and not blowing away from the cpu.

t-bird's (not t-bred - there is no tbred 1.33) run extreamly hot. Im not at all suprised its failing at those temps, and i agree with the above.

Ok, I will check the CPU mount and fan. I think one of the clips had broken and I had to offset the HSF (gotta love that)...

For what its worth, the sensors are:

Sensor 1 MAX1617-9 (local)
Sensor 2 Via 686 B-1
Sensor 3 Via 686 B-3
Sensor 4 Via 686 B-2

Do those correspond to CPU sensors or maybe Northbridge?

So its the Via686 B-2 that is giving me 70+C readings.

According to the http://mbm.livewiredev.com motherboard list on a KK266-R 686 sensor 2 is the case sensor (often the power supply) In this situation that is probably the power supply failing. Try trading the power supply from your other system since it is a high power Antec.

The 686 sensor 3 is the cpu socket and 686 sensor 1 is the motherboard.

Ok, well... I tried re-applying thermal counpound (AS3) to my core and re-attaching the heatsink, which did not help... no POSTing. Tried switching P/S ... no POSTing...

I think I'm dead. I looked at my core and the very corners appears to be broken off on two sides. Just a tiny bit, but noticable.

Anyway, I think this means its time to upgrade (!)

nForce 2 board and XP somethingorother... 2400? What's the best atm? I know the 3200s are kinda a joke - read: not P4 3.2 level (besides being too expensive)... Its not my primary rig anyway, so I don't need to go HT or anything - if that really makes a difference anyway :) .

Thanks,

Tad

Back