• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Please read!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1310nanometers

Registered
Let me start by telling you about this PC.

Asus P4C800E-deluxe, P4 3.2C, Corsair XMS 1 GB(2x512) PC3200, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Audigy 2, WD SATA 120GB, Lite-on 52X CD/ROM, Plextor 8x DVD/RW, Windows XP Pro

The problem started from the beginning. On power up the system would attempt to POST and would hang at a screen looking for the Promise controller. It would detect for a few seconds and then would display, "No device found, No BIOS installed". After this it would go back to the AI splash screen for a few more seconds and finally boot into the OS.

So this is the state I find the computer in. I messed in Windows and it seemed to be running fine. Benchmarks were within range. So then I tried to focus on the BIOS issue listed above. I was able to get into the BIOS and check the settings so I know it was loaded. I turned on PAT and I changed the AGP aperture to 128. Then I exited, saved changes and attempted to reboot. After this the system tried to load but I believe something happened in the BIOS because it would not load the default values by hitting F2.

So we purchased a floppy drive in an attempt to falsh to the current BIOS version. So here's goes the bigger problem and the reason I'm posting.

It the process of checking and rechecking the wiring. Somehow the floppy drive power connector was not installed in the socket on the floppy drive itself. I think the middle two wires from the folppy drive got cramped into one power lead. On power up the floppy drive power cable GLOWS orange and goes up in smoke!! After this happens we stopped all progess and took it to the local computer store. They could not look at that day. So we bought a new motherboard (Asus P4P800 Deluxe) and a new 420W power supply.

So we change out the mobo and PS and get everything right. On power up the system does nothing. No POST, no Beep codes, NOTHING. The monitor doesn't come out of standby mode. So we took the video card and sound card out and put them in another rig. They work fine. We have check everything but the RAM. I think if it were the RAM it would at least give me a beep code.

So what I think is that the floppy drive incident shorted out the processor. That could be the only reason why the system would not respond with Beep codes or some sort of POST.

Let me know what you guys think. I think I've ruled everything but the RAM and processor.

We changed out the RAM with one of my sticks (Crucial PC3200). Problem solved!! We haven't tested the Corsair sticks by themselves cause we are just gonna go buy a matched pair anyway. But we will be testing the sticks independently after we get the new RAM in. I'm just gald it's not the proc.

Back