• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help push my 2.8c higher than 3.3ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samwY

Registered
I have a P4 2.8C D1 @ 3.3ghz right now

IC7-Max 3
236FSB Vcore 1.625V
Corsair XMS 3200LL 1 gig
5:4 2-6-3-3 Vdimm 2.9V
AGP 1.65V

It gets unstable for gaming and stuff (far cry, 3dmark2003) if I go higher than this. I tried bumping the Vcore to 1.65 and raising the FSB but it still gets unstable.

Anyone have any other ideas to make my computer faster?
Will updating the latest BIOS and Intel drivers do anything?

Also, anyone know how to make my 9800 PRO All-in-Wonder faster?
I searched for some infomation on the 9800XT bios for the 9800, but I haven't read anything about the All In Wonder version of the 9800 Pro. Does anyone have info about this?

My wish is to get 3.5ghz so my memory can run at 1:1...please give me your advice

I also got 6013 on 3dmark2003 with my current setup at 3.3ghz.

How impressive is that?

I want to run Doom 3 nicely...

you mean relax the timings?
it still gets unstable at higher FSB

If you have advice, be detailed thanks

i have a zalman 7000cu
my temps are from 45 at idle to up to 60 a load
is that a safe temp?

and how come no one is giving advice?

60 is a little higher than most people like to go. Although they are rated to be able to go much higher, you wanna keep it around 50 for the most part. With that said, you have an IC-7 board which is known for reporting temperatures much higher than actual. Here is some info about it: http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_01.html

It is possible that 3.3 is all your chip is capable of, that's the way overclocking goes sometimes. Mine seems to have topped out at about 3.42GHz while others are getting them up to 3.6 and beyond. On the other hand some are having trouble pushing them to 3.2.

Will updating the latest BIOS and Intel drivers do anything? - It's possible, you'll just have to do it to see

we have stuff we have to do too =P

It may just be your max o/c. Mine only gets 3.4 max o/c. Some do better, some worse.

And to answer your question, those temps are really high, but they won't truly affect it. Also, you don't need your AGP voltage at 1.65v. If you can make it lower, set it to 1.5 or 1.55

First off, lower your RAM voltage to 2.8. The MAX3 is unstable at 2.9-3.2v unless you've done a vTT mod to your board.

Secondly, make sure your GAT settings are set to AAADD (Auto-Auto-Auto-Disabled-Disabled under the Advanced Chipset Options in your BIOS). This is extremely important if you're running 5:4. The MAX3's just do not play nice with GAT enabled while using a 5:4 divider.

Thirdly, there is some talk that increasing your AGP voltage boosts voltage to your northbridge, which will help stabilize things, especially if you're shooting for 250fsb @ 1:1--I'm unsure whether this has been proven or not, maybe Batboy can shed some light on this? All that said, I run my agp at 1.6v and don't have any problems.

Fourthly, for your vcore, I wouldn't go above 1.675. I ran my 2.8c at 1.725v 3.5ghz for about 2 weeks and then it started degrading.

Fifthly, try using a 3:2 divider to remove your RAM from the equation. Keep bumping the speed up until you're no longer stable and you should have found the max speed for your chip with your current cooling/system setup.

Sixthly, make sure you've set N/B Strap at 800mhz.

Seventhly, set AGP/PCI to fixed and 66/33mhz.

Eighthly, hmm, can't seem to think of anything else...is eightly even a word? Somehow it just doesn't sound right :)

HTH :)

"Secondly, make sure your GAT settings are set to AAADD (Auto-Auto-Auto-Disabled-Disabled under the Advanced Chipset Options in your BIOS)."

My computer runs fine with all of them on Auto.
Is it to my advantage to Disable the last two?

BTW, I've given up. I'm stable at 236FSB (3.3ghz) at 1.6V, 5:4 2-3-3-6.

I hope I get good FPS with my 3.3ghz Ati 9800 Pro 128MB in Doom 3

Well, mine hits a soft wall at 3.2. It gets to 3.2 with no effort at all. It takes a ton of effort to get it any higher. I can get it to 3.3, semi-stable, but it just isn't worth dropping back my RAM or upping voltages. To tell you the truth, I can't see any real-world differences in 3.2 and 3.3 anyway. My CPU is happy at 3.2, and so am I.

Back