• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help quick! NB heatsink/fan replace - ultra d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi.. DFI Ultra-D..

I am about to replace the northbridge heatsink and fan, got a nice replacement, but I can't remove the heatsink of the stock!!!

Whats going on?

I removed the mobo, and removed the bottom two white clips, which i thought were the only thing holding the heatsink to the NB.. but it won't budge!! It's stuck to the NB like glue, lol. I ripped the fan out, and there are three little screws in there, but I doubt thats it.

What do I do? I don't think I can rip it out, it seems very tight. nothing seems to be holding it on there.

first off r u called trypt because of tryptophan? If I am not mistaken the diagram you have there is of tryptophan. anyway you can, if ur careful, break the nb heatsink and forcibly remove it. that is for the last resort. it may have thermal tape on it so what you might want to do is to take a q-tip, dip it in alcohol and run it on the bottom of the nb heatsink, where the contact is. this is safe and will remove any compound, tape, or glue lmfao

Umm.. the diagram is of DMT (dimethyl tryptamine), one of the class of chemicals known as Tryptamines (hence my nick). It's actually my legal middle name as well, and has been my nick since 1992 when I first got online! So, any other Trypt out there is a poser indeed, lol!! I majored in chemistry and physics, and my thesis was on a class of drugs known as entheogens (tryptamines, hallucinogens, psychedelics), I spent years studying, and still do, psychoactive drugs and their effect on humanity and individuals. Needless to say, I have a very special and deep relationship with psychoactive chemicals. I've never used drugs for pain, mental or physical, and hopefully never will, but I love using them for spiritual purposes, and experiences, and studies, recreationally only.

Anyhow, I ripped the HS off, it finally came off, but on the NB there was this gunk that I couldn't remove. I didn't get your message in time, so it's too late now, but I just put some AS5 on top and put the new HS/fan on. I would probably get a few more degrees lower if I did as you said, but really, NB can handle much higher temps then what they are at even at full load (always under 40C, whereas they used to be 55C steady before I did this).

My system is running absolutely beautifully now, except for the fact that I cannot start it, lol. If you read my other thread, I still have that problem. It's running great now, I got it started after 20 mins of fiddling with the power cable and tricking it into starting, and now I just hope there is no power failure any time soon in my building, and no reason to restart the computer from off, that would be a pain in the butt. The reset switch/power switch doesn't work either, so I'm toast if I get a freeze and have to restart, cuz I'll have to shut it off with the power cable.

well good to hear. I actually didnt see the dimethyltryptamine written on the diagram...doh!
I thought it was tryptophan cuz of the N to CH3 bonds and what looked like a nitrogenous base to me. Then I saw what looked like a pentose sugar and I was like... nucleic acid? Anyway I assumed trypt being tryptophan which is an epic and popular amino acid. hehe

Just use some Acetone to remove and soften the old hard gunk Tim and also used a small plastic scraper, to help get off then finished cleaning with Isopropyl
Alcohol then replace Tim with either MX-2 or ICD-7 , just did one this afternoon.

Attachments

• CPU Upgrades - e8400 and NB chip.jpg
    CPU Upgrades - e8400 and NB chip.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 204
Back